You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Trial Version Will Not Open--freezes on splash screen

I have installed the Affinity Photo trial version, and it says it installed correctly, however, when I try to open it, the splash screen comes up, but then just freezes. Looking at the Task Manager, it runs for a few seconds, then all activity stops.  I have tried using different compatibility settings in windows, but that does nothing.

My computer OS is Windows 8.1.  My graphics card is  an Nvidia GTX870M.  I have 32 GB of ram,  144 GB of free storage available on my C drive.  I have no idea why it won't open.

I unplugged my second monitor and external hard drive, restarted, and tried to open it after rebooting.  Nothing. 

I also tried running it as the administrator, that didn't do anything.  

I also uninstalled it, and reinstalled it.  No change.

I was planning to buy this to edit 3D 360 panoramas, but the trial version has me reconsidering, since it won't even open.  

HELP!

Edited by Katherine Hollyday

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Katherine. :)

I’m sorry to hear your tale of woe. Please refer to the following FAQ thread and see if the problem is resolved for you by addressing any of the issues listed there:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it to open the activation screen by setting the NVIDIA graphics to the " integrated graphics " setting.  However, I do not have an activation key, since I am trying the 10 day free trial.  I did not receive anything indicating an activation key at all.  I checked the emails I received, and don't see anything in my Affinity account.  Closing the window closes everything, so I am unable to get in to try it.  BTW, It says I have 10 days left.

I was able to get the software to work on my old windows 7 computer, but I want to use it on my windows 8.1 computer, which is where I am having problems.  How do I get it to open? 

I want to buy this, but I need to make sure it will work on this computer, or else, what's the point?

Edited by Katherine Hollyday

10 hours ago, Katherine Hollyday said:

I finally got it to open the activation screen by setting the NVIDIA graphics to the " integrated graphics " setting.  However, I do not have an activation key, since I am trying the 10 day free trial.  I did not receive anything indicating an activation key at all.  I checked the emails I received, and don't see anything in my Affinity account.  Closing the window closes everything, so I am unable to get in to try it.  BTW, It says I have 10 days left.

I was able to get the software to work on my old windows 7 computer, but I want to use it on my windows 8.1 computer, which is where I am having problems.  How do I get it to open? 

I want to buy this, but I need to make sure it will work on this computer, or else, what's the point?

How many days did you run it on your old windows 7 computer? I'm not sure how Serif has the program setup, but they do allow installing it on multiple computers, so long as they're running similar platforms. Also 144 GB is not really that much space.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

11 hours ago, Katherine Hollyday said:

However, I do not have an activation key, since I am trying the 10 day free trial.

The trial starts when you first open the program, and ends 10 days later.

You first posted about your problems on September 5, so your trial would have expired yesterday. You won't get an activation key until you purchase the product.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The trial starts when you first open the program, and ends 10 days later.

You first posted about your problems on September 5, so your trial would have expired yesterday. You won't get an activation key until you purchase the product.

It never opened on my windows 8.1 computer until yesterday.  And it said that I have 10 days on my free trial as of yesterday.  So, how can that be?

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

How many days did you run it on your old windows 7 computer? I'm not sure how Serif has the program setup, but they do allow installing it on multiple computers, so long as they're running similar platforms. Also 144 GB is not really that much space.

I used it for a bit on my old windows 7 computer for one day to test it.  It seems to work fine on the windows 7 desktop computer, but I need it to run on my windows 8.1 laptop, which is what I use most because I can take it with me to work.  I did not have to login or enter a key code to use that free trial on the windows 7 machine, so why would I need to do that to use the free trial on my laptop?

I don't get the impression that tech support is all that great with this product, so I want to be sure that it will work before I buy it.