You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrange flags in a circle

Hello,

I am pretty sure I am missing something very simple and basic. But well, I don't see it, so her it comes:

I have a bunch off flags. All same size, arranged in a row. What I would like to do is to transform their shape into a half circle or circle. And I am wondering how to do that in Affinity. Any tips?

Clipping to circle? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

If you create text on a path you can paste images on the path. The attached example includes text, but you can just use images if you want.

47E9836B-3F17-4DCE-89AB-F17BE06796D6.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the feedback. Please don’t hesitate to post back if you need help with the procedure.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Alfred,

I am brand new to AD and have just started using it on the iPad. I decided the best and fastest way to learn AD is to use it for a project that I need to do. Which just so happens to include putting a row of flags around a circle. Current # of flags I need to include is 17. I searched the Internet for how to do it and found something on Adobe's forum about creating a custom brush from the row of flags and then using it to put a stroke on the circle (attached). Searching this forum, I found this thread :)

If you don't mind, can you share how you were able to create the circle of flags in AD (hopefully on iPad).

Thank you in advance.

ken.M

flags to path.jpg

4 hours ago, ken.M said:

Alfred,

I am brand new to AD and have just started using it on the iPad. I decided the best and fastest way to learn AD is to use it for a project that I need to do. Which just so happens to include putting a row of flags around a circle. Current # of flags I need to include is 17. I searched the Internet for how to do it and found something on Adobe's forum about creating a custom brush from the row of flags and then using it to put a stroke on the circle (attached). Searching this forum, I found this thread :)

If you don't mind, can you share how you were able to create the circle of flags in AD (hopefully on iPad).

Thank you in advance.

ken.M

flags to path.jpg

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum.

The steps would be:

1. assuming that you have all flags available for import in a suitable format (svg, png, jpeg)
  2. create a new document large enough to put all flags in one row (no gaps)
  3. Import  all flags and align in one row
  4. export as png
  5. create new document for circle (quadratic in dimensions)
  6. create a new image brush, select the exported flags file as source. 
  7. add a ellipse shape. Set fill to none. Set stroke to none. Set stroke to brush. Set brush to flag brush.
  8. Adjust stroke width so that the flag had appropriate size. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 hours ago, ken.M said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Ken. :)

Although the procedure is much the same in the desktop version I actually created my example in AD on iPad!

@NotMyFault has kindly described the steps you need. I’ve attached a couple of files for you to play with.

NATO-flags.png

NATO-flags.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

@NotMyFault or @Alfred,

I finally got around to have time to try the flags in a circle (work got in the way) and having an issue, which means I’m obviously doing something wrong :) I created my row of flags and exported them as a PNG. First I tried the size it was (large) and it wouldn’t allow me to select the PNG when trying to create a new textured image brush. I Googled it and saw a comment about being limited to 4096 in width. So I resized to 3072 and it still wouldn’t allow me to select the PNG. Tried width of 2048 and still won’t allow me to select PNG. Am I doing something wrong trying to create a new textured image brush in Affinity Designer for IPad that it won’t allow me to select a PNG when creating a new brush?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

8 hours ago, ken.M said:

@NotMyFault or @Alfred,

I finally got around to have time to try the flags in a circle (work got in the way) and having an issue, which means I’m obviously doing something wrong :) I created my row of flags and exported them as a PNG. First I tried the size it was (large) and it wouldn’t allow me to select the PNG when trying to create a new textured image brush. I Googled it and saw a comment about being limited to 4096 in width. So I resized to 3072 and it still wouldn’t allow me to select the PNG. Tried width of 2048 and still won’t allow me to select PNG. Am I doing something wrong trying to create a new textured image brush in Affinity Designer for IPad that it won’t allow me to select a PNG when creating a new brush?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Hi,

a screenshot or screen video of what you are doing would help to see. I personally never run into a brush size limit, lets find out 😉

Please try with only one flag, png export resized to about 720x360 and check if you can create a brush.

If this works, try with a large set of e.g. 4096x360.

If it doesn’t work with a small png, there is something else to be fixed.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You could try my Arcs or Arches macro. As it stands, it will bend a row of flags in to a half-circle. You will need to enlarge the canvas to provide room below the row of flags. If you are interested, then I will try and modify it to create a full circle.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

a screenshot or screen video of what you are doing would help to see. I personally never run into a brush size limit, lets find out 😉

Please try with only one flag, png export resized to about 720x360 and check if you can create a brush.

If this works, try with a large set of e.g. 4096x360.

If it doesn’t work with a small png, there is something else to be fixed.

Out of curiosity, is a 360 height arbitrary? I tried going with that and created a single flag PNG with a height of 360; the height ends up being about 580 or so. Created a new document and added an ellipse with no fill and no stroke. I then tried creating a new textured image brush and selecting the PNG of a single flag. For some reason, I can’t even select the file.

I have 17 flags that I am using. So if the height is supposed to be 360, the width will end up being 10k or so. If I limit the width, then the height will be smaller. I have the flags all at the exact same height without distorting the width.

teaches screenshots, but can’t really capture me clicking on the file repeatedly:)

Thanks for any help figuring this out. I’m sure I am doing something wrong….

97ED2E27-6D5D-4162-BA56-B08D4C446040.png

348AD500-5E74-4473-AD85-B2CB0C691F06.jpeg

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You could try my Arcs or Arches macro. As it stands, it will bend a row of flags in to a half-circle. You will need to enlarge the canvas to provide room below the row of flags. If you are interested, then I will try and modify it to create a full circle.

John

I appreciate the offer! I want to try and figure out what I’m doing wrong, but if I can’t I’ll take you up on your offer. Has to be a full circle of flags though. I’m following all the steps that I know of so scratching my head on what I’m missing.

1 hour ago, ken.M said:

For some reason, I can’t even select the file.

What happens if you click on the file?
In which location did you export, to photos?
Then you need to navigate to the correct folder (click the small blue < symbol to access other locations).

Another approach maybe Filters > Distort > Rectangular to Polar transform depending on what you want to achieve...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

4 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

What happens if you click on the file?
In which location did you export, to photos?
Then you need to navigate to the correct folder (click the small blue < symbol to access other locations).

If I click on it, nothing. Double clicking gets me to change name. The screenshot shows the location, which I can navigate to successfully and is the location that I export the PNG to - on my One Drive.

5 minutes ago, ken.M said:

If I click on it, nothing. Double clicking gets me to change name. The screenshot shows the location, which I can navigate to successfully and is the location that I export the PNG to - on my One Drive.

Hmm. Normally you only tap once to the thumbnail (not the name, and only short click) and it immediately opens the png as new brush. Only if you long-press you get a menu to rename etc.

So the weirdest thing. Out of curiosity, I wondered if being on my One Drive would be an issue. I copied the file to a folder on my iPad and worked like a charm…..weird. Only issue I have to work through now is the stretching out of a few of the flags. Thank you very much for all the help!

8F0B713C-C4B1-419C-B6D1-866AFD767249.png

You could try the Filters > Distort > Rectangular to Polar transform. You will need to add blank space below the flag row (and possibly above it as well) using the Document > Resize Canvas menu item.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

You could try the Filters > Distort > Rectangular to Polar transform. You will need to add blank space below the flag row (and possibly above it as well) using the Document > Resize Canvas menu item.

See my earlier post in this thread which does just that...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse