You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File size in Beta 1.8.4.651

I am working with version 1.8.3.641. Now I have tested the beta version 1.8.4.651 and found that the file size increases extremely.
e.g. A file created with 1.8.3.641 (all images are linked, not embedded) >>> size 10 MB.
This file opened and saved with Beta 1.8.4.651 (all images are linked, not embedded) >>>> size 800 MB !!!!
Is that normal?

Desktop: Windows 10 22H2 / Intel i5-9600K / 32 GB RAM / Affinity Suite V1 (work) and Affinity Suite V2 (test) for Windows

Welcome to the forums. The file sizes increase is quite normal, but not so huge like in your case. If I understood it correctly the applications keep certain data up to a specific point and then discard it. So your file will get smaller at some time. Maybe it helps if you do a "Save as" with a different name.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, bsx said:

Is that normal?

I would say not normal, it's almost as if the files are now embedded.

Have you checked Document > Resource Manager in 1.8.4.651 to confirm the files are still showing as linked?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, all files are showing as linked in 1.8.4.651. I have already tested it with various files and I always have this abnormality.
"Save as" is not a solution.
The new file is only few MB smaller (807.6 MB -> 800.2 MB)
"Save with history" ist disabled.
(Operating System Windows 10 Pro 1909
)

Desktop: Windows 10 22H2 / Intel i5-9600K / 32 GB RAM / Affinity Suite V1 (work) and Affinity Suite V2 (test) for Windows

JPG - Files

resourcemanager.PNG

Edited by bsx

This is an unexpected behaviour, because JPG was always fine - at least for me. Maybe a last suggestion from me, before more competent people are taking over: Delete about 10 images and place them again. I am curious if the file size is shrinking approx. 40 MB now.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I deleted and added the 16 JPG-images on a double page, but there was no change in size.
Thank you for your help. 😀

for comparison I embedded all files, the size of the test file grows to 1.6 GB (before 800 MB with linked images).

It is currently not a problem in version 1.8.3., But could become one for me in the new versions of publisher.

I know it's a big file but any chance you could upload the 800MB version to the forum or proved a Drobox/WeTransfer link to it?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have transferred 2 small test files to Dropbox.

Version 1.8.3.641    size 2.5 MB
Version 1.8.4.651    size 56.9 MB

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tfigs35lqd365mm/AACO7kv0NtsFytWEluKTczXNa?dl=0

The file was created with 1.8.3 and then opened and saved in 1.8.4.

I can reproduce the effect with any file at any time. Please test it.

Edited by bsx

Thanks for the files - very useful

Problem confirmed - and it's not isolated to opening a document saved in the released version with the beta and then resaving it.

The problem occurs with the beta in any new document.

For example:

Using the released version, I placed a 115MB linked PNG file, saved the document and the document size is 495KB

I did the same in the beta and the saved document size is now 15.9MB

If I rename/delete the linked PNG file I would expect to see a low resolution, placeholder, image in its place - which does occur in the released version.

But in the beta, I appear to get a full resolution, placeholder, image despite the fact that Resource Manage clearly/correctly shows the image as missing.

It's almost as if they (Affinity) have significantly increased the size/resolution of the placeholder images used when a linked resource is unavailable

But I am only speculating, we will need to wait to see if Affinity confirm it's a bug or the "new normal" and we all need to go out and buy bigger hard disk drives.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

we all need to go out and buy bigger hard disk drives

Definitely! At the time of my first 500 MB hard disk I thought "Who needs such a huge hard disk?" 😂 My first top notch hard disk had 10 MB if I recall it correctly.

------

Thanks for the test. It's good that the result has been confirmed, but it is bad that the file sizes are growing so extremely in the new versions.
I hope Affinity will change that back or make the quality of the preview images customizable.

It is an advantage of the linked photos that the actual file size is very small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (File Size increase over 1.8.3) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks, the problem is solved, I just tested again.

I am still working with version 1.8.3: File size of my current work file
is 55,1 MB.

Load an save with Beta Version 1.8.4.687: File size of my current work file is 24,6 MB.

I will test it with  1.8.4 in the next week.

Regards, Burkhard

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.