You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I align layers in an already opened document?

Thank you MEB.

I suppose that it is by content. I took three photos that are slightly misaligned. I know you can stack them using the new stack in the file menu. I was wondering if there is an option to auto align layers directly by content without having to export the developed files and then make a new stack.

• 1 month later...

hello, I also do have problems with my workflow on real estate (or gallery views) ambient/flash layer work.

It is totally fine to create the "align" at the "new file/new stack"  step in the beginning. But sadly there is no "normal" blending mode which is "no" blending mode at all ( All i need is "luminocity mode wich is already in the layer blending mode menue : ). I want to add layer masks and blend them to my purpose. In the stack menue I just got the various modes like "mean, median etc." layer math modes that override the ordinary layer blending mode.

btw, the alignment itself works fine.

The question of course is if there is a workaround, i really need that feature!

Here is a pic, intentionally colored to see the unwanted interaction (the red elements that ineract with the blue upper layer)

And another pic showing funny things when trying to change opacity ; )

happythanks,

stefan

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Staff

Hi stefan 1967,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
After loading/aligning the images with the New Stack command, drag the images to outside the Live Stack Group in the Layers panel and delete the stack group if you don't need it. You can then use the regular layer blend modes as you intended. Currently there's no other way to align regular layers in Affinity Photo automatically.

A stack is basically just a group (of images) so with the group layer (and Move Tool) selected either...

Click the Ungroup button on the context toolbar
or Arrange > Ungroup
or use the Arrange > Ungroup shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+G (Windows) 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

42 minutes ago, stefan 1967 said:

after 50 times it overrides brain and comes via spine ; )

What a wonderful phrase, I shall try to remember it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Layer Alignment is critically important to Architectural Photography. Affinity Photo is far superior to Photoshop in so many ways, except Layer Alignment. Selecting open images then creating layers with them and then creating a stack from them would work but the minute you remove the stack the alignment goes with it. The way it does work is to start with a New Stack from the file menu, then lock the layers and remove the stack. That alignment actually works perfectly. The problem there however is that the New Stack option is limited to jpg and raw files. Many times I've edited the original layers in Capture One and just need to align them and mask out a window.

Hopefully, Affinity will make this feature possible soon. 

28 minutes ago, JCorrado said:

The problem there however is that the New Stack option is limited to jpg and raw files.

It should work, too, with TIFF or PNG. Are you sure it doesn't?

Also, I would not recommnend using New Stack with RAW files. At this point, you will probably get good results from RAW files only when you use File > Open or File > New Batch Job. The other actions under File won't go through the full Develop processing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It should work, too, with TIFF or PNG. Are you sure it doesn't?

Also, I would not recommnend using New Stack with RAW files. At this point, you will probably get good results from RAW files only when you use File > Open or File > New Batch Job. The other actions under File won't go through the full Develop processing.

Thanks Walt. I haven't tried it with Tiff or PNG. I hardly ever use them. I was just testing to see what did work when psd files didn't. Capture One sets up a psd file. Ultimately, a good layer alignment tool would be ideal. 

• 3 weeks later...