You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Close All feature please!

Kind of a drag when you have many files open in an Affinity program, and want to close them all.  It seems you have to close each one individually, one by one, rather than using the usual 'Close All' menu item you see in other programs.  Why is that not in Affinity?

There has never been such command in mac apps (AFAIK) so I do not miss it, but functionality has been available in OSX for ages. It would be good if Affinity would support alt key closing which indeed closes all windows. Both as shortcut (alt+cmd+W) and alt-click close box.

Meanwhile, it takes only a few seconds to keep cmd key down and hit repeatedly W – or just quit the program.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

There has never been such command in mac apps

Safari has a "Close All Windows" option in its File menu.

If you open the File menu of the Finder, holding down the option key changes "Close Window" to "Close All".  Same with Terminal (except it is in the "Shell" menu as the terminal does not deal with files...).

In TextEdit, option changes Close to Close All in the File menu.

This pattern carries through to many 3rd-party Mac apps as well, such as Nisus Writer Pro, Swift Publisher, QuarkXPress, Cubase...

As with many of my suggestions, workarounds exist, but why not just have the feature that makes it easy.  I've had situations where I'd have 30+ images open, and even though it's certainly possible to individually close them, why not just click a button that closes them all at once?  I can't speak for Mac (I"m on PC), but a Close All is quite common in other programs.

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

Safari has a "Close All Windows" option in its File menu.

If you open the File menu of the Finder, holding down the option key changes "Close Window" to "Close All".

True, Safari has it. Weirdly, its shortcut is not the common alt-cmd-W available in Apple's own OSX apps but alt-shift-cmd-W.

It's still 'alt-cmd-W' for me with Safari 13.0.5

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

46 minutes ago, markw said:

It's still 'alt-cmd-W' for me with Safari 13.0.5

If you turn off "command-click opens a link in a new tab" in Preferences -> Tabs then that is what you get.

I have that turned on, so for me it is option+shift+command+W, while the option+command+W shortcut is for Close Other Tabs.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:25 AM, ladlon said:

Kind of a drag when you have many files open in an Affinity program, and want to close them all.  It seems you have to close each one individually, one by one, rather than using the usual 'Close All' menu item you see in other programs.  Why is that not in Affinity?

I miss this terribly in Designer for Windows.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:41 AM, Fixx said:

There has never been such command in mac apps (AFAIK) so I do not miss it, but functionality has been available in OSX for ages.

A standard mac feature is to press the option key and click the close box, or press option-command-W. This works in most apps including Adobe's, but unfortunately not in Affinity apps which use their own UI for document windows. It's even missing the ability to command-click on a document title to see the file location hierarchy.

The only way I can see to close multiple documents at once is when NOT in separated mode. Just click the close box and it closes all the open document tabs.