You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fractalius plugin not working

• Staff

Hi @sg2326,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately these plugins aren't currently supported in Affinity Photo, my apologies.

We're constantly working to update and improve our plugin support and hope to extend our range of supported third party plugins in the future. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

I just shifted over to Affinity Photo after failures with CS6 failure to recognize commercial plugins after a hardware upgrade?? I am now exploring Affinity Photo which supports using my Akvis plugins just fine!! thank you. It 'sees' the Redfield plugins, but won't activate them??? I have sent an email to Redfield about this in case they could do anything at their end?? indicating a potential 'market' for their plugins with Affinity. Haven't heard back from them yet, but maybe a cooperative agreement can be worked out between your development team and them to get it to work??? Here's hoping. Thank you

• Staff

Hi @paulhart2,

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately I don't believe Redfield can change their plugins to better suit Affinity Photo, as I have found this slightly older thread on our forums whereby Redfield confirmed we needed to be running specific Photoshop parameters for the Plugin to work, and without us at Affinity adding support for these, the plugin will remain non-functional.

As mentioned above, our developers are always looking to update and improve the Affinity applications, and I'll be certain to pass on your suggestion of working directly with Redfield to them.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I got an actual response from Redfield, in which they indicated that 'indeed, Redfield plugins do not work with Affinity' suggesting that some further development by Affinity would be needed to get it to work.
Separately, I wish the Right-Mouse button was connected to Scaling brush size. I found out that Shift-Alt does make it work, but the lack of support for using the 'essential' right-mouse button seems to be an omission. I have a Wacom tablet and 'finger memory' keeps disappointing me.
I will continue to explore. Thank you for the response.

JixiPix Spectral Art plugin produces a very similar effect to Fractalius and does run in Affinity Photo. It's also Mac and Windows compatible.image.png.0eb53203f76ebb07e2830485ff01ca17.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, paulhart2 said:

Thank you for the recommendation. I investigated and bought two(2) different filter plugins.

You're welcome.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

19 hours ago, firstdefence said:

JixiPix Spectral Art plugin produces a very similar effect to Fractalius and does run in Affinity Photo. It's also Mac and Windows compatible.

Am I correct that you mean this product, & that it works fine with AP 1.9.x on Macs? If so, even though I am just a hobbyist at $20 U.S. I am tempted to buy it because it seems capable of creating some amazingly beautiful effects.

EDIT: I found the link for the demo & indeed it does seem to work very well with AP on my Mac, at least in the plugin window. (The demo will not allow saving the effect back to the AP document so I cannot fully test that without buying it.)

Apart from there being only an "Apply" button -- to cancel I have to confirm that I want to quit the plugin -- it seems very well thought out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

All of the jixiPix plugins play nicely and yes that plugin as well. I have the JixiPack so a pretty full compliement of the JixiPix plugins and all produce interesting effects.

This one is called Artista Haiku
image.thumb.png.d14e1492c4dedde4b99cb155398c61b8.png

Like RCR I am just a hobbyist these days but I decided to purchase the spectral art plugin.  It transfers back to Affinity perfectly.  These plugins are very good It's tempting to buy more.   And If you blend the results with the original photo back in Affinity you can create some very unique looks .