You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing Shapes while Merging Vector Elements

It happens often to see shapes loosing/changing points after I join distant shapes in a unique element.

The picture show 2 separated shapes in the left column, in the right column that's what happen when merging the two.

Generally the way A.Designer manage the handling point of a shape is quite bad (try deleting a point between other two). I still use Inkscape when it comes to fine shaping.pngYUis2j

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

with the latest build (1.8.3.641) everything seems to be fine while operating with shapes (mergin, intersecting etc..).

As for the nodes handling thing that is still very bad, so I still need to operate with other software too.. but this was kind of a big deal, so thank you!

13 hours ago, Corrado said:

As for the nodes handling thing that is still very bad, so I still need to operate with other software too.. but this was kind of a big deal, so thank you!

If you are referring to Designer not (trying to) preserving the shape of the curve when you delete a single node, I have complained about it. 🙂

"Alternative software" does a great job - because its default behavior is to (try) to preserve the shape. 

Affinity Designers default is to let you down. But if you press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE it will try. Results are not always impressive but better than nothing.

Default should be to preserve the shape when deleting notes - not remembering ANOTHER work around.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

If you are referring to Designer not (trying to) preserving the shape of the curve when you delete a single node, I have complained about it. 🙂

"Alternative software" does a great job - because its default behavior is to (try) to preserve the shape. 

Affinity Designers default is to let you down. But if you press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE it will try. Results are not always impressive but better than nothing.

Default should be to preserve the shape when deleting notes - not remembering ANOTHER work around.

Exactly what I meant and I totally agree about the default behaviour when deleting nodes: preserve! (Thank you for the tip by the way!)

I always use Inkscape when it comes to fine shaping. It has always been my first choice cause, in my personal experience, it manages nodes better than any other software I ever used and it has a lot of really usefull functions (e.g. the one that let you change positions between different objects, the possibility to distribute and align nodes, etc..) or better version of known ones (like align/distribute that let you decide what use as reference).

1 minute ago, Corrado said:

Here we go again: trying to merge the shapes 1 and 2 overlapping them and that's what I get

Annotazione 2020-04-11 175921.png

Never mind, I just had to trace the rectangle, touht it would be automatic (as in other software). I think it should be implemented as a natural behaviour

Nope, wrong again it was just because I moved the rectangle away fron the center of the half ellipse shape. Seems that the problem is with the node being a uniform curve (if I change it into a smart curve it does merge regullary)image.thumb.png.cb43ab115c3449afed4d997bb16aa479.png

• Staff
40 minutes ago, Corrado said:

ps: sorry to be such a pain in the ass but I'm actually trying to help debug this beautiful softwares

Don't worry. We were just struggling to replicate it without you providing the project files. :) issue logged

On 4/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, Gabe said:

Don't worry. We were just struggling to replicate it without you providing the project files. :) issue logged

This is yet another example of a Boolean operation that is broken when performed destructively, but which will succeed when done as a Compound and optionally followed by Convert To Curves.