You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create swirls and swooshes in affinity designer

I asked this same question almost two years ago, albeit with Inkscape not Adobe. This can be done but it is not as easy as with out the spiral tool in the other programs as you can set the thickness variation either as triangle in or triangle out, or even the middle.

For widened the stroke the secret is to convert  the  line to shape so the nodes are on the outside of the line / object and you can then easily get the leaf effect. my posting is below and you can see the mods answers. If I want to create the swirls I go to inkscape and then save them as a svg and bring them in to designer. We may one day get a similar  tool in Affinity

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, crayons said:

If anyone has any Flourishes/Swirls assets to share that would be AWESOME!

Many typefaces (including some free ones) feature flourishes, swirls and/or swashes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@davidlower8  Here is a beautiful asset file which, if I remember correctly, was created and kindly offered to us by @firstdefence.  You should be able to make some very nice swirls with these, for starters.

Fleur parts.afassets

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@davidlower8 Two possible free font sources are "Cornucopia of Ornaments" and "Rough Fleurons" - both available from 1001freefonts.com in their "Decorative" category.   Their website is a bit of a hassle to work through, but if you input the font name up at the top in the Search box, you should get right there.  I have attached samples.  The top one is from Cornucopia of Ornaments.   Both fonts are accessed through the Glyph Browser.

1919436266_ScreenShot2020-08-26at5_29_38PM.png.043a00d104e2e2568008a09a7def8311.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9