Stevoster

Overwriting Original Files in Batch

Hi there,

I regularly run a batch to apply a macro to hundreds of .jpg images. I want to overwrite the originals with the batch output. Is there a way to do this? When I save to the same folder, it just creates a duplicate and I then have to sort by date and delete all the old ones. 

Save and Save-As are disabled in Macro Record mode so that's no good. 

I'm probably missing something obvious. 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve.

All I do is check the original location option, and usually it will happily resave over the original file.

But in an experiment I just ran, about 2 out of 5 times it created a new photo, with a time-stamped name. I have no idea why it sometimes does that.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Thanks Walt - that is interesting - I never checked to see if it created duplicates of them all but the number of duplicates feels like around the same, I will count next time. Still doesn't answer why it creates any duplicates at all though, very strange. 

12 hours ago, Stevoster said:

When I save to the same folder, it just creates a duplicate and I then have to sort by date and delete all the old ones. 

Never seen that before, where are the files you are processing located?

Local drive, external drive, networked drive, cloud etc

and does the folder have any automatic syncing (e.g. to/from the cloud) setup?

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

If it was me I would try running a few batch jobs using just files on the local drive to see if I could replicate the problem.

If the problem just occurs with the external drive that may help "someone" figure out what could be causing it.

If not, at least you have eliminated the "external drive" factor as a possible cause.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Hey! Bingo - when I did the same thing on the same files no my internal Mac drive it overwrote then no problem. Is this an AF bug or what? Can I raise it with the team somehow? Doesn't bother me now that I know how to get around it but I'm guessing the developers might want to fix it. 

Thanks for getting back Carl and for your great & clever tip - I really appreciate it! 

Steve.

1 minute ago, Stevoster said:

Is this an AF bug or what? Can I raise it with the team somehow?

Hi Stevoster :)

It certainly sounds as though this is the case, I'll move your thread to the bugs section of our Forums for our QA team to investigate further and log as appropriate!

Hi all,

I tried to replicate it but it's all working fine for me. Can you please confirm:

• What kind of drive is it? SSD? HDD?
  • What format is it? Exfat? Fat32? MacOS Extended? 

I tried it with an external HDD but could still not reproduce this issue. I'm wondering if it's something else going on. Have you got a USB stick or another external hdd that you can try and see if it's only happening on that one HDD?