Hello,

As anyone who works with real paint knows, brushes are rarely clean and colours are rarely uncontaminated by other colours.

I was wondering whether Affinity had anything in the pipeline that would replicate this?

For instance, if I was using an acrylic brush and painted some white, then switched to orange, the first couple of strokes might have little bits of white in them. Perhaps there might be an option (like the paint mixer tool) to clean the brush between strokes.

Thoughts? In my mind this would be really nice and complement the paint mixer tool really nicely!

interesting idea. the 'brush' is a pixel pattern + a color . why not have the brush be a coloured pixel pattern, that is affected by the paint it touches ?  and then is cleanable like CraigD suggests? 

The desktop version has the Paint Mixer Brush which seems to work like the multicolor brush being requested here. Does the iPad version also have that tool?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta

There are a few options available to achieve this

a. Experiment with the blend modes on the context bar.
Multiply works but can be a bit 'harsh' or heavy without commensurate adjustments to hardness/opacity and flow. 
Average it useful (use it a lot!)...something I picked up from sketchbook pro and authentic 'pencil brushes'
b. Use a textured brush (transparency will appear in 'unfilled' pixels)
c. mix the 2 (A+B)
d. Use an image brush
e. Turn on 'wet edges'

AD 1.7.3 + Beta AD 1.8.0.532 | APh 1.7.3 + Beta AP 1.8.0.532
APu 1.7.3 +Beta Apu 1.8.0.535

Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 19.11.3(Adrenalin 2019, 
Radeon Settings Version
19.1.1) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.38-2

Hi,

You can create great multicolour brushes by going into the brush Dynamics settings and changing the Hue to ‘Velocity’ and increasing the Hue slider to quite a high % depending on how much colour change you want:

918DC219-039E-49D5-BD0F-01262BB9528E.png

It would be nice to have a secondary color option in the brush engine like procreate 5’s new brush engine... and also having a few different variables to blend, so the brush can blend between the two colors x number of seconds after the first stroke... or after x number of pixels dragged, or x number of clicks.... just a thought

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

2018 11" iPad Pro 256 GB, latest iPadOS public beta