Jump to content
willernest

Studio Link in .422 fails on Designer Beta .434

Recommended Posts

Publisher at .422.  Downloaded Photo at .434 and StudioLink successfully linked.  Downloaded Designer at .434 and StudioLink failed (says get beta).

Uninstalled Designer beta and reinstalled. Same situation. Looked for earlier approaches - go to …\appinfo\Beta and delete Designer Release.appinfo. After most recent installed of Designer beta there is nothing under that directory.

For non-beta (Release directory) there is both Designer Release.appinfo and Photo Release.appinfo and of course for the Release version StudioLink worked out of the box (realizing that it didn't for many).

Windows 10 version 1903.

What next?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for another data point: I've installed Photo and Designer beta .434 and both Personas work fine in Publisher beta .422.

The complete directory path you're looking for is %programdata%\Affinity\Common\1.0\appinfo\Beta and you can type that into the location bar of a File Explorer window or you can type it into the box you get when you press the Windows key and R together. I do have .appinfo files in there for Designer, Photo, and Publisher. You might confirm that that's the directory you checked.

Beyond that, sorry, I have no suggestions.

But in case it matters, the Photo and Designer .appinfo files I have are dated 2 weeks ago, though I just installed the latest beta versions this morning. That seems odd.

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not this is by design as we are changing the detection and you will need a new Publisher build for them all to use the same mechanism, sorry for the confusion this causes.

A new Publisher beta is imminent


Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, willernest said:

This looks to be resolved with the new release .442 and the .434 versions of Photo & Design. Very nice.

No, not for me (on Windows 10, 1903)...

It works on my iMac though...

Suggestions on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Suggestions on that?

Not sure what to suggest. It worked on my Win 10 system.

Maybe try the new Photo and Designer betas when they become available again after Mark figures out what went wrong that makes them crash instantly.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure what to suggest. It worked on my Win 10 system.

Maybe try the new Photo and Designer betas when they become available again after Mark figures out what went wrong.

Thanks Walt!

I jumping thru my arsenal of computers and iPads and it’s much to do every beta update to Affinity Suite (2x Win10, one iMac27-5K and three iPad Pros)...

The solution to involve the menu commands “Open in Photo/Designer” doesn’t do the job if you jump from an bigger publication in Publisher...

But, I have the retail versions to use, but, the betas have been awesome lately!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Connor.Patrick

On 7/29/2019 at 8:58 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Believe it or not this is by design as we are changing the detection and you will need a new Publisher build for them all to use the same mechanism, sorry for the confusion this causes.

A new Publisher beta is imminent

Hmmm...

I’ve tried everything, but, non of my Windows machine can handle StudioLink anymore...

Latest beta versions installed on both computers, but without success...

On my iMac StudioLink works great in beta...

Perhaps I’ll have to wait on 1.72 retail release... :-(

see video:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Jon P, please investigate the StudioLink problem demonstrated here 

@ErrkaPetti what folders are the programs installed to (please paste the full path into a reply)

 

No hurry, it’s Sunday evening/night right now here in Europe ;-)

I’m not near my Winnie computers just now, but I’ll come back in early morning... Thanks guys! Love from Sweden!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

No hurry, it’s Sunday evening/night right now here in Europe ;-)

I’m not near my Winnie computers just now, but I’ll come back in early morning... Thanks guys! Love from Sweden!

Can't find installed path of retail installed Affinity Photo/Designer, probably because of that I bought them on MS Store and bought Affinity Publisher direct from Serif...

This is a screenshot that show what I can find:

 

Anteckning 2019-08-05 050932.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Errka,

MS Store installs are quite hidden so they won't appear with everything else. I presume you've run both Photo and Designer Betas up without any issues? Also I presume your Windows is setup using a Swedish locale?

Would you be able to load up Publisher and then attempt to access both apps via StudioLink. Once that is done could you attach the Log.txt found inside %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\

As well as that can you export the following key from the Windows registry and attach that please? 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Serif\

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Errka,

MS Store installs are quite hidden so they won't appear with everything else. I presume you've run both Photo and Designer Betas up without any issues? Also I presume your Windows is setup using a Swedish locale?

Would you be able to load up Publisher and then attempt to access both apps via StudioLink. Once that is done could you attach the Log.txt found inside %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\

As well as that can you export the following key from the Windows registry and attach that please? 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Serif\

Thanks!

Long working day away from Affinity Office ;-)

I'll check this and come back later... Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Errka,

MS Store installs are quite hidden so they won't appear with everything else. I presume you've run both Photo and Designer Betas up without any issues? Also I presume your Windows is setup using a Swedish locale?

Would you be able to load up Publisher and then attempt to access both apps via StudioLink. Once that is done could you attach the Log.txt found inside %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\

As well as that can you export the following key from the Windows registry and attach that please? 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Serif\

Thanks!

Here we go (yeah, Swedish locale):

Observe, this is from my other Windows tablet laptop (a brand new HP Spectre X360 with same problem to use StudioLink)...

Thanks in advance!

 

.reg

Log.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ErrkaPetti

Those files were really helpful.

In rewriting the logic we had forgotten the test case when the Publisher beta should have checked for Microsoft store purchases of Designer and Photo as validation of the ADe and APh betas, sorry and thank you for your patience helping us find this problem. Currently Publisher Windows Beta will only enable the studiolink if a the ADe or APh Beta is found and that beta has a valid licensed Affinity Store version installed.

In future Publisher Windows Beta builds will still require ADe and APh beta builds, but will accept the Affinity Store license OR the Windows Store receipts as validation being a Designer and/or Photo "customer".


Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@ErrkaPetti

Those files were really helpful.

In rewriting the logic we had forgotten the test case when the Publisher beta should have checked for Microsoft store purchases of Designer and Photo as validation of the ADe and APh betas, sorry and thank you for your patience helping us find this problem. Currently Publisher Windows Beta will only enable the studiolink if a the ADe or APh Beta is found and that beta has a valid licensed Affinity Store version installed.

In future Publisher Windows Beta builds will still require ADe and APh beta builds, but will accept the Affinity Store license OR the Windows Store receipts as validation being a Designer and/or Photo "customer".

Glad to support the beta testing! Thanks guys for the help... 

No catastrophe, I have full setup of Affinity licences on my iMac...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@ErrkaPetti

Please can you try the latest Affinity Publisher beta for us and report back. Hopefully this has been resolved with no knock on consequences.

Excuse late answer - but we are on the road again (Publisher & StudioLink works again for me)!

Thanks guys!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×