You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping Path Support

Hi,

Currently Publisher does not support clipping paths that are in embedded in files such as JPG (before everyone jumps in saying that JPG doesn't support transparency, they do if the option to convert clips to paths is selected when exporting :)

It is a bit of a workaround to use them at the moment, make sure your image is linked, then edit image...

Problem: the image is fine, you can see the path nested under the image if you expand the layers, you need to save as to update the file, fine except it roughly quadruples the original file size, update the link and the clipping path works as expected. If you just make a minor change like renaming the layer to enable the save the image, it may look like it has worked but the area that should be transparent is actually white. If you edit this revised file...the clipping path is still there. 

The easiest way that I have found so far is just to edit the image, copy the layer with it's clipping path then paste into Publisher, it works well.

Life will be so much easier when clipping paths are recognised so that when the image is placed, the clipping path works as expected without having to follow any extra steps or saving larger than necessary files that eventually bloat the document.

For those that still do not believe that JPG can contain transparency I have attached a quick example, it had to be zipped to prevent the forum from messing with the file :)  

Clipping Path Demo.jpg.zip

Wow. I learn something every day. Thanks.

I see the cat unclipped inXnView but when I load it into AP it loads correctly with layers available.

PS I have a cat that looks like yours

PPS I am stealing the pic, shamelessly I might add :17_heart_eyes::D

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

18 hours ago, Rick G said:

Wow. I learn something every day. Thanks.

I see the cat unclipped inXnView but when I load it into AP it loads correctly with layers available.

PS I have a cat that looks like yours

PPS I am stealing the pic, shamelessly I might add :17_heart_eyes::D

Hi Rick, It's not my cat, I used an image from the stock studio :) I love the cat shape tool...it is built into affinity, if you haven't seen it before, alt/option click on the triangle on the shapes tool :10_wink:

6 hours ago, Murfee said:

Hi Rick, It's not my cat, I used an image from the stock studio :) I love the cat shape tool...it is built into affinity, if you haven't seen it before, alt/option click on the triangle on the shapes tool :10_wink:

I use that cat shape now and again. I am still fascinated by the way you made the layers available in a JPG

Thanks

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Since Affinity enables me to open an Adobe Illustrator document or even to copy/paste vector objects from a native .ai, I wonder, whether a clipping path, saved by an Adobe app, is read, recognized and supported by Affinity? Or whether it is supposed to support but fails for some reason or bug?

A sample with 4 file formats, with transparency (except JPG) + a clipping path:

1086626276_clippingpathcomparisonafpub.jpg.135191c9c962cf675094577464e165c8.jpg

Attached a .zip: 1x .afpub + 4x images with clipping path (from psd) + 1x screenshot of the expected result.
Could one shed some light on a general support or non-support of those clipping paths in Affinity?

Clipping Path.zip

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Since Affinity enables me to open an Adobe Illustrator document or even to copy/paste vector objects from a native .ai, I wonder, whether a clipping path, saved by an Adobe app, is read, recognized and supported by Affinity? Or whether it is supposed to support but fails for some reason or bug?

Hi Thomaso, Your JPG file does have it's clipping path and if you select it then select edit image you can see it in the new tab that has opened. This behaviour is the same as when I try to insert a JPG with a clipping path that was created in Affinity Photo. 

The file opens as a layered file, you can see the image the clipping path is a nested layer. Publisher obviously recognises the path when it is opened directly, the issue is placing the file in Publisher. This seems to be a very similar problem to opening/placing tif files. The Devs are aware of the tif placing issue and hopefully it will be fixed soon. I hope that the clipping path issue can also be addressed soon. Until this is fixed I find that copying the layers that open when you edit the image in the new file and then copying to your original document works, but we shouldn't have to do this extra step. 

It would be nice to know if there are plans to fix this.

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 15.07.11.png

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Since Affinity enables me to open an Adobe Illustrator document

Thanks for the samples, thomaso.

One small point of confusion, for me: You start out (as I quoted) talking about AI documents, and then give examples of PSD and some image formats, but not AI.

One possible clarification, for you: Affinity handles AI documents only if they were saved in PDF compatibility mode, and then Affinity reads only the PDF stream within the AI document. The AI data itself is proprietary, and its format is not known to Affinity. The significance of this is that if AI did not put something into the PDF copy, it is not available to Affinity. I do not know if that would have an effect on clipping masks, if you were looking at an AI document.

And one other possible area for investigation: Is the situation different if you Open your sample files rather than Placing them? We have seen some areas where that makes a difference. To ease that experimentation you can try Opening the image files in Designer or Photo, as Publisher won't offer to Open them directly (though it can be done).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Your JPG file does have it's clipping path

Wow, Thanks a lot, Murfee. – After your initial tutorial above I tried this edit view with the psd, the png and the tif. – Then I gave up! shame on me! Thank you also for the info that it is reported and/or known to the Devs (cause I could not find an according topic in the wide beach of hundreds of sandy topic corns;)

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One small point of confusion, for me: You start out (as I quoted) talking about AI documents, and then give examples of PSD and some image formats, but not AI.

Sorry for confusing. I started about AI because it is an Adobe app which is supported quite well in Affinity. That made me wonder, if Adobes clipping paths might possibly not supported in purpose. The connection was simply to be aware of a bandwidth of possible supported features of Adobe apps.

But, since you ask: I also had tried a  clipping path.ai  which was exported from the psd file of my test above:
It gets placed in AfPub as a layer named "(Linked document)" but no specific name, as a .psd shows:

1712205180_clippingpath-aiexportfrompsd.thumb.jpg.f6ae84326a17084a9ea1fa9486f34349.jpg

If I use "Edit Document" I get only one layer named "(Layer") with no content:

318421088_clippingpath-aiexportfrompsd2editdoc.jpg.23ed010b1922d61285801a31dba37b19.jpg

I assume your explanations about limitations of .ai in Affinity gets visible here.

One strange occurrence when editing the .ai: A quite confusing warning about color profiles:
It sounds as if I am working in a grayscale document and tried to edit a unprofiled document:

633618626_AIdocumenteditprofilewarning.jpg.9a1044a2032764703fafcd952ed4acd7.jpg

Whereas THIS document itself obviously got opened with a grayscale profile by AfPub and confuses AfPub itself by finding content with no profile:
1943484621_AIdocumenteditprofilewarning2.jpg.40b20c8ea06ec05cabc38379b712e897.jpg

The .afpub, where it was pasted in is a CMYK document with cmyk profile. So, the warning is talking about the resource only.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Is the situation different if you Open your sample files rather than Placing them?

I don't know. Haven't you tried? The files are attached in the zip above.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 years later...