You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Awkward german translation of "section"

Hi, this is not really a bug. But I strongly suggest to change the translation of "section" in the German version to "Abschnitt" (it is "Sektion" now). Though "Sektion" is used in German, it means "department" rather than "section of a document". Cf. Duden re "Sektion". Furthermore "Sektion" also stands for the cutting up of a dead body for medical research (like a medical examiner does). Both meanings are probably not what you want to convey here.

I wouldn't bother, both "Abschnitt" and "Sektion" are not only literally the same words, they also convey the exact same meaning. OP may just not be used to seeing both interchangeably in the wild, making this more of a personal preference. There's also no way one would relate it to an autopsy since the context is obviously not there.

Leute, Sektion ist für Deutsche unschön gefärbt. Ja. Selbst schuld. – Mittlerweile ist es ein Wort wie Export, Premium, Service, Dokument, Handy, Hotline, Homepage , Autobahn, Achtung und Sauerkraut ... etc.

Im Verlagswesen ist für "section" meines Wissens "Abteilung" häufiger dokumentiert als der "Abschnitt", auf den wir eventuell nur von Adobe ("Ziegelstein") geprägt sind. – Stichwort "Framing".

Ich habe in Affinity apps viel mehr noch daran zu knabbern, mich zukünftig als "Persona" zu verstehen. Eine "Export-Persona", wie in AfDesigner, ist das nicht der Mensch vom Auslieferungslager?

"Free your mind – and your ass will follow"

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I've moved this to feature requests as it's not technically a bug...

I would find it difficult to back up a claim that the wrong spelling of the right word is not a bug, albeit a trivial one. I don’t see how the right spelling of the wrong word is really any different.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, it is just the wrong word for the purpose. Somehow it is funny that earlier localisations seemed to suffer from over-translation (I believe to remember that the blend mode Multiply was translated Vervielfachen instead of Multiplizieren), and now we are suffering from under-translation in some places (Sektion for section instead of Abschnitt). Hmm. o.O

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 7:36 PM, Ragster said:

I wouldn't bother, both "Abschnitt" and "Sektion" are not only literally the same words, they also convey the exact same meaning. OP may just not be used to seeing both interchangeably in the wild, making this more of a personal preference. There's also no way one would relate it to an autopsy since the context is obviously not there.

You might want to refer to the Duden in this case. Sektion is used in the sense of department, organisational unit and in the sence of autopsy. I agree that the online synonym entry for "Sektion" contains "Abschnitt". That's why I said "awkward", not wrong. Abschnitt is simply clearer, in wider usage and overall better.