You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Denoise on V1.7.0?

I'm using the new Affinity Photo V1.70. With V1.67, the Noise Reduction filter had an extreme setting, which has been removed in the current version. For me personally, it wasn't that big a deal because I had Luminance Denoise set to only 108%. Colour denoise was 17% (no extreme), Detail was 80%, and Contribution was 100%. These settings worked beautifully for the types of photos I was processing. The problem now is that regardless of how I adjust the new Denoise settings, nothing - or very minimal - appears to be happening. The split-screen before-and-after display doesn't reveal any discernible difference in noise reduction. When I use V1.67 on my other Mac, everything works fine. Is there something that I'm doing wrong with the new version?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey bb805,

You aren't doing anything wrong. The Denoise filter was redesigned to be more natural, however a few users have reported that they can no longer use it. You can for now try duplicating the Denoise filter layer to see if that helps.

As a workaround, if you are desperate for the old behaviour, if you open a 1.6v document which has a Live Denoise Filter Layer in it, you can copy that Filter layer and paste it into your current 1.7v document.

Hopefully it will then function as it used to in 1.6

Let us know how you get on, I don't use that filter enough to comment on it professionally

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi KevinPhoto,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Out of curiosity, aren't you able to reduce the noise using either the live filter version (menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Denoise) or the destructive version (menu Filters > Noise > Denoise)? If so do you mind attaching a file/sample where both live and destructive versions fail to remove the noise properly? What type of images are you working with?

On 9/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, MEB said:

Hi KevinPhoto,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Out of curiosity, aren't you able to reduce the noise using either the live filter version (menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Denoise) or the destructive version (menu Filters > Noise > Denoise)? If so do you mind attaching a file/sample where both live and destructive versions fail to remove the noise properly? What type of images are you working with?

Hi MEB, just give us back the old filter and everything will be fine  :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz