You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.7 Won't upgrade if Purchased from Apple Store

It appears that if you purchased Photo from the Apple store or from the Windows store you can't upgrade to the new 1.7 version. I can't even find a place that will allow me to download a copy without having some kind of key. When you purchase Photo from the Apple store or the Windows store they do not supply a key for the program. It just works and has been able to automatically upgrade its self until now. I think Serif has a problem with all those that purchased from either the Apple store or the Windows store. We need this fixed NOW! A simple solution is to provide a key to all those that purchased from either from the Apple store or the Windows store and allow them to then download the trial version and register it with the supplied key. Or fix the issue by allowing the current users program to automatically upgrade. This appears to be a real mess from a users point of view!

Reply from original posting user. It appears that Apple finally made the 1.7 version upgradeable from the Apple store. It still leaves the issue that the program is not registered with Serif and there is no product key if you need to download the program again. 

downloaded 1.7 from App store, but failed to open. Tried to uninstall and re-download/reinstall, but App store now wants me to buy again. It's not showing up in my 'purchased' list!! Can't find older version to re-install that either!!

Edited by davie51

1 hour ago, Helge Skogh said:

I recently upgraded from the App Store. If you do not see the upgrade button, press cmd and click on 'r' and there you are!

Many thanks for posting!  It also worked for me.

18 hours ago, davie51 said:

downloaded 1.7 from App store, but failed to open. Tried to uninstall and re-download/reinstall, but App store now wants me to buy again. It's not showing up in my 'purchased' list!! Can't find older version to re-install that either!!

If by "App Store" you mean the Mac App Store, make sure that you are signed in with the same Apple ID that you used for the original purchase. You can also try the CMD+R reload trick if it still doesn't show up, or trying logging out & then back into the Mac store.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, dwermske said:

It still leaves the issue that the program is not registered with Serif and there is no product key if you need to download the program again. 

That shouldn't be an issue. You do not need to be registered with Serif as you can install from the MAS if you need to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1