Mark Oehlschlager

Affinity Equivalent to Adobe PS Smart Objects?

In Photoshop, when setting up template files for brand application mockups (generic books, bottles, boxes, etc. shot in perspective to which branded graphics will be applied), over the top of the base image layer I'm able to embed flat art as so-called "Smart Object" layers, to which non-destructive distortions and blend modes are applied to make the flat art conform to the shape of the 3-D object below. Once the Photoshop template file is constructed, It's a trivial matter apply new branded graphics to the 3-D object by double-clicking on the Smart Object layer, opening up the embedded flat art layer in a separate window, pasting in new flat art, then closing and saving the changes. All of the original non-destructive distortions and blend modes associated with the Smart Object layer get applied to the newly added art.

Is there an equivalent to Adobe's Smart Objects in Affinity Photo and Designer?

If not, is there an alternative Affinity method for creating the type of template files I've just described?

I think the closest you can get in Affinity Photo right now would be to use Assets, as they are being added in 1.7 (they were in Designer before); this video also shows some things with symbols which are still only available in Designer:

I hope this will be added someway or the other. 

So maybe Photo will get a bit of the feature-set of Publisher (-> Linked Images), as most affinity-apps share some engine-parts anyway ...

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.4 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminum);

@Patrick Connor

In the Adobe software, the utility of their so-called "Smart Objects" (specially defined layers that envelope placed or drawn art) is that non-destructive transformations, filters, effects and distortions can be applied to the artwork within the Smart Object layer. I suppose the affordance of the feature is comparable to what can be achieved through Affinity Photo's Live Filter Layers but with fewer restrictions.

In the use case I described at the top of this thread, I suppose the addition of the Mesh Warp Tool to the Live Filter Layers menu would help a great deal, and I would appreciate this addition. However, would you ask the development team on my behalf what their thoughts are on how best to bring the equivalent of Adobe's "Smart Object" layers to the Affinity suite? 

Much appreciated. Thank you.