You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.  I created a design on my Mac and had Zapfino available.  Now when i just loaded the Affinity document in Designer on my new PC laptop and it's not recognizing that font.  Do i need to purchase the Zapfino font somewhere and load it into Designer (which I've never attempted with any fonts).  Or am I kinda just outta luck?  haha.

15 minutes ago, JJMeadow said:

Do i need to purchase the Zapfino font somewhere and load it into Designer (which I've never attempted with any fonts).

Some one more window oriented than I will answer regarding where to get fonts for Windows, I am pretty sure you just load the font into the computer and it is available to all programs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Zapfino font does not come with Windows, however you can get for free HERE

It's contained in a zip file. Once downloaded, (what I do) is extract it to it's own folder, then open the folder find the font. Right-click on it and select Install.  Done.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

13 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Zapfino font does not come with Windows, however you can get for free HERE

Zapfino is a commercial font. It should not be available to download for free.

The samples on the linked site all seem to be cut off at the top, so one has to question the usefulness of this ‘free’ version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Didn't know that. I downloaded and installed it, and it appears ok. Attachment done in AP.

zapfino example.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

8 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Didn't know that. I downloaded and installed it, and it appears ok.

Nevertheless, it is a commercial font that should not be available from any web site without the permission of its owner. The version included with Macs includes this notice:

Copyright (c) 1999-2002, Linotype Library GmbH & affiliates. All rights reserved.

Apple licenses many commercial fonts so they can be distributed with the Mac OS, but that license does not extend to copying or installing the font onto anything other than a computer made by Apple.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Nevertheless, it is a commercial font that should not be available from any web site without the permission of its owner. The version included with Macs includes this notice:

Apple licenses many commercial fonts so they can be distributed with the Mac OS, but that license does not extend to copying or installing the font onto anything other than a computer made by Apple.

It's worth noting that that copyright notice goes up to 2002 - couple it with this from Wikipedia (my emphasis) "In 2003, Hermann Zapf completely reworked the Zapfino design, creating Zapfino Extra, a large expansion of the Zapfino family designed in close collaboration with Akira Kobayashi.".  There are lots of sites providing free downloads of Zapfino, and many of them specify that it's the Linotype One or that it's the "official" free version - it looks like the owner gave permission.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

It's worth noting that that copyright notice goes up to 2002 - couple it with this from Wikipedia (my emphasis) "In 2003, Hermann Zapf completely reworked the Zapfino design, creating Zapfino Extra, a large expansion of the Zapfino family designed in close collaboration with Akira Kobayashi.".  There are lots of sites providing free downloads of Zapfino, and many of them specify that it's the Linotype One or that it's the "official" free version - it looks like the owner gave permission.

The date in a copyright notice establishes when the claim was first made or a substantial revision was made to it, not its expiration date or if it has been renewed or for any other reason is not being enforced by the copyright owner. Everything I can find about Zapfino suggests its copyright is owned by Linotype GmbH, since 2006 a subsidiary of Monotype Imaging Holdings, Inc., but I can't find anything more definitive than that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

The date in a copyright notice establishes when the claim was first made or a substantial revision was made to it, not its expiration date or if it has been renewed or for any other reason is not being enforced by the copyright owner. Everything I can find about Zapfino suggests its copyright is owned by Linotype GmbH, since 2006 a subsidiary of Monotype Imaging Holdings, Inc., but I can't find anything more definitive than that.

I agree with that and really doubt that it is now in the Public Domain. An aside, I am on Mac so I have the licensed copy of it but I don't think I have ever used it other than to look at it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.