You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 1.7.0.251 Text and thumbnail size...

Hello.

Affinity photo 1.7.0.251

Thumbnail size of the levels is a great add, but they are still too small, IMHO. Also for text, in general! ...it seems worse (not clear) and still too small. With text size to more than 110% in Win 10 settings, Dpi scaling not properly work some words, in some languages, are completely cut (see screen shot). 2K monitor.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Staff

Hi Zox,

Unless the clipping occurs when you set your DPI to the Windows presets (125, 150, 175, 200 etc.) we can't do anything about this. Windows even says 'This can cause some text, apps and other items to be unreadable' if you set a customs scaling option.

If however you are seeing the clipping at the presets, we need to investigate this. I've had a quick look by setting my 4k monitor to a 2560 x 1440p but it wasn't clipping (even at a custom DPI) so I'll try on my 2k monitor at home at the presets. 

Hi Chris, thanks for reply. 

My DPI monitor setting is 100%.

Set on 125% work fine on 2k, but this make everything too bigger not only for affinity photo.

I have change only text size to 120% in Win settings: “Change the size of text" (just to have at least more readable text) and this made text clipped!

Unfortunately these are the only way we have (on Windows) for a better UI font/icon size in AP.

And however, from your answer, I suppose there is no solution!?

Thanks again

Cheers

@Zox, unfortunately changing just the text scaling in Windows isn't something we support (we do support changing the display scale in Windows). When we design the UI, we can't design it in such a way that it would support any size of font - something would always end up breaking (either the text would clip, or objects would move positions etc).

I suggest you try changing the display scale to something like 125% if you're finding things difficult at 100%.

32 minutes ago, Zox said:

I seemed to have read from CHris that it could be improved!

Yes, I edited his reply, because what I meant was, that particular instance of text clipping (i.e. preferences dialog) could be improved, but I wouldn't want to go over the entire application looking for areas where increased font size has broken the UI.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Zox, unfortunately changing just the text scaling in Windows isn't something we support (we do support changing the display scale in Windows). When we design the UI, we can't design it in such a way that it would support any size of font - something would always end up breaking (either the text would clip, or objects would move positions etc).

I suggest you try changing the display scale to something like 125% if you're finding things difficult at 100%.

I previously posted about this HERE.

Changing the display scaling to 125% on a desktop isn't a good solution as it makes everything too big.  The jump between 100% display scaling and 125% display scaling is too big and setting a custom display scaling between 100% and 125% isn't officially supported.

As there is no way to adjust the text size within the Affinity Software itself, I think it would be reasonable that Serif at least tries to accommodate for this Windows accessibility feature as best as possible.  It would be unreasonable to expect you to support any size font, however perhaps you could test up to maybe 125% text scaling?

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Yes, I edited his reply, because what I meant was, that particular instance of text clipping (i.e. preferences dialog) could be improved, but I wouldn't want to go over the entire application looking for areas where increased font size has broken the UI.

Thanks for reply Mark,
I realize that is a difficult task to look and solve issues.
We report issues with beta testing, even several times, simply to contribute make product becomes better. The best things can also be seen from the little things! IMHO.
Like many others in this forum, I simply believe that affinity photo needs a more scalable/readable interface,  (i.e. something like Blender) not just fonts are small, also icons, etc.. Often with 2K/4K becomes hard make continuous use of AP. 
Anyway I understand that Your work guys is not easy, and this may be hard to realize.
But thanks for Your clarification, really appreciate it.

Kindly Regards!

20 hours ago, - S - said:

I previously posted about this HERE.

Changing the display scaling to 125% on a desktop isn't a good solution as it makes everything too big.  The jump between 100% display scaling and 125% display scaling is too big and setting a custom display scaling between 100% and 125% isn't officially supported.

As there is no way to adjust the text size within the Affinity Software itself, I think it would be reasonable that Serif at least tries to accommodate for this Windows accessibility feature as best as possible.  It would be unreasonable to expect you to support any size font, however perhaps you could test up to maybe 125% text scaling?

Hi -S-

I read your linked post and totally agree with you!
But from the answers posted here, I believe we will only have Win settings to rely on!

Regards.

4 hours ago, Zox said:

Hi -S-

I read your linked post and totally agree with you!
But from the answers posted here, I believe we will only have Win settings to rely on!

Regards.

Hi @Zox I've reverted the change - the next build will have the original font size.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.