Jump to content
chefseyephotography

When are DAM/cataloging and tethering features coming to Affinity Photo

Recommended Posts

I wanted to find out if you have any plans to add photo cataloging features to Affinity Photo similar to those found in Adobe Lightroom or Capture One?  Skylum’s Luminar 3 product has implemented a DAM/cataloging features with its newest release Luminar 3 and this product competes directly with Affinity Photo.  Also, do you have any plans for a tethering feature? It would be nice to bring photos directly into Affinity Photo from a camera as one can do in Lightroom and ON1.


Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merci. I'll look into those threads.


Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi dadisiolutosin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as I'm know there's no plans to add DAM capabilities to Affinity Photo. We are however considering having an independent DAM application that will work seamlessly with our apps. I have no info about tethering support at this point. This have been requested a few times though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi dadisiolutosin,

Luminar 3 doesn't compete with anyone until they have fixed all the bugs in the application including the DAM that they are developing now for one and a half year, Capture One is a pure Raw editor that I use every day. Affinity Photo is a allround Photo Editor that I use instead of Photoshop. So it's difficult to compare them with each other. A DAM would be nice, but there a several open source DAMS.

If you are looking for a good open source tethering application (I don't know what camera you use!) try this: digicamcontrol

You can combine it with Affinity Photo.

Regards,

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dadisiolutosin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as I'm know there's no plans to add DAM capabilities to Affinity Photo. We are however considering having an independent DAM application that will work seamlessly with our apps. I have no info about tethering support at this point. This have been requested a few times though.

Okay. That sounds good. So you're planning to do something similar to the Lightroom?


Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

For tethering software take a look here (check for the cams you have and want to use then):

A popular free/opensource platform independent photo management software is ...

Thank you. I will check these out.  I shoot with the Panasonic Lumix G85 and GX8. Panasonic has tethering software but it only works with their high-end models, the G9, GH4, and GH5/s.  The only thing they provide that works with the G7, G85, and other lower-end models is a mobile app. 


Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Hi dadisiolutosin,

Luminar 3 doesn't compete with anyone until they have fixed all the bugs in the application including the DAM that they are developing now for one and a half year, Capture One is a pure Raw editor that I use every day. Affinity Photo is a allround Photo Editor that I use instead of Photoshop. So it's difficult to compare them with each other. A DAM would be nice, but there a several open source DAMS.

If you are looking for a good open source tethering application (I don't know what camera you use!) try this: digicamcontrol

You can combine it with Affinity Photo.

Regards,

David

Thank you. I will check these out.  Luminar 3 has a cataloging feature that I've tested but it's too damned slow.  I shoot with the Panasonic Lumix G85 and GX8. Panasonic has tethering software but it only works with their high-end models, the G9, GH4, and GH5/s.  The only thing they provide that works with the G7, G85, and other lower-end models is a mobile app.


Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chefseyephotography said:

Okay. That sounds good. So you're planning to do something similar to the Lightroom?

We are still far away from this. I don't have much info about the scope of it (limited to DAM functionality only or a full RAW developer with DAM functionality included).
The current focus is on improving the current suite of apps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity photo is a good rival to photoshop but I don't use it as it doesn't integrate with a decent DAM. Until that happens I can't use it. Serif are so close to toppling adobe in this area but without a lightroom alternative that can read affinity files it's not going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 4:43 AM, Neil W said:

Affinity photo is a good rival to photoshop but I don't use it as it doesn't integrate with a decent DAM. Until that happens I can't use it. Serif are so close to toppling adobe in this area but without a lightroom alternative that can read affinity files it's not going to happen. 

I agree. I adore the Affinity raw tools but I just don't use them on the bulk of my photos because photographers prefer a seamless workflow. I'd be happy with even a really basic external DAM that previewed all the edited images (lossless) and allowed to paste adjustments to multiple files.
I tried Apple Photos and it's just a bit too basic and only really allows lossy edits with the affinity plugin. I tried Capture One which is a bit overkill (and costly). I'd really prefer to have something that allows Affinity photo to shine else it may get left behind by photographers (it's still amazing for intense graphical work of course)

Edited by Craig S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, chefseyephotography said:

I wanted to find out if you have any plans to add photo cataloging features to Affinity Photo similar to those found in Adobe Lightroom or Capture One?  Skylum’s Luminar 3 product has implemented a DAM/cataloging features with its newest release Luminar 3 and this product competes directly with Affinity Photo.  Also, do you have any plans for a tethering feature? It would be nice to bring photos directly into Affinity Photo from a camera as one can do in Lightroom and ON1.

I am using B8Stack Freeware for Tethering - works with Imaging Edge Desktop(for Sony only). There is no embedded tethering in AF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big win for LR as a DAM and tether option is the syncing via Collections which is the main reason why I have to remain with LR.

My workflow often involves the client being in another location, sometimes on the other side of the world, when I shoot their work. With Collections a content editor can be sat in LA whilst I shoot their products in London. As the shot is taken it syncs via a collection that they have a secure link for, all generated by LR. They can instantly review as the image loads into the collection and syncs via WiFi. 

The big plus is the power of Creative Cloud that keeps everything contained and seamless.
 

Crack that and it’s goodbye Adobe Photography Plan.

Jon  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.