You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity collect and send data from computers?

42 minutes ago, Steps said:

You pay a price with your personal data you are just not being aware of.

There is no price I pay for anonymous data collection, as long as it truly is anonymous.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, xarthangrol said:

It's not. You pay an ISP to connect to it. Without paying that monthly fee, you wouldn't have any access to it. Besides, the internet is all of the servers and computers on the network not  websites, documents and online services; that's the World Wide Web, which uses the internet.

Yes. And every website you host has to be paid. People don't work for free. That was my point. Apart from companies like Google making the internet, and their services free, by collecting, personalizing, and working with data (data you give them, data you are willing to share publicly, because the internet IS a public place, not your personal realm on your computer). Which is all stated in their EULA, by the way, if people actually would bother to read it.

Ok, I think all has been said and for my part I call it the end of discussion. Thanks to everybody for sharing your thoughts. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

9 hours ago, chakko007 said:

Yes. And every website you host has to be paid

I know, I have several, and it costs me only $1.62 USD per month to host three domains on the same package, which is unmetred with databases. I don't feed ads to try and get that $1.62 back nor do I collect data from users' computers. If people want to pay $30 per month for unlimited space and features they'll never use, that's up to them. Some people also lack the knowledge about what web hosting is because they have been fed Google and other walled gardens and site builders since birth.

The value of data is worth more than the value of bits on a server, which may be why Google is a billion-dollar company and the users are probably not getting richer by using it.

Anyway, closer to my original issue; it's not the data that people give away with their own hand or voice that concerns me, it's the data that is covertly taken that does. As I've said before, someone stole my credit card details online and spent over $3,000 on medical supplies in a country I've never been to. Someone stole my wife's details and defrauded her. All that as a result of data being stored on the WWW. Even using AWS is insecure if not set up properly.

As Steps has mentioned, this topic has probably  run it's course. Thanks for your contributions, folks.

ASUS Prime B450M-K; 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM; AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU; Nvidia GTX1050Ti
Windows 10 Professional (64-bit); Manjaro Linux

16 hours ago, chakko007 said:

…The internet is always a minority thinking they speak for the majority. It isn't representative at all.

If you don't care about your privacy, that's your own choice. You don't however get to make the choice for other people, regardless of whether they are a minority or majority.

…GPDR has been the death of many small businesses BTW. Just so you know.

…You know why i said that many small businesses died because of GPDR? Because they rely on data collection…

If their business is ruined by GDPR regulations, they had a pretty crummy and exploitive business model in the first place.  Good riddance—I doubt they will be missed.

…You know why the whole internet is still free? Because of data collection. 

Content on the internet itself was free before Google, etc. showed up.  Web hosting, email, usenet, chat rooms, instant messaging, etc. was all free, you just paid the ISP for the connection and it was all included in the price.  There were lots of us who hosted websites, for free, without ads, and covered pretty much every topic you could possibly think of; not for money or for ad revenue, but for fun—we were passionate about certain things and that was our motivation.  An internet for the people, by the people.  The quality of the content was also unparalleled as it wasn't about driving ad revenue, but genuine raw enthusiasm from people who were quite often experts or professionals in those fields.  Combined with usenet, it was possible to communicate with like-minded people across the globe on any topic and find out absolutely anything you wanted to.  Then money and greed came along and ruined it.  I preferred the earlier days of the internet.

Did somebody said internet? - What -S- wrote reminds me somehow to these times here WorldWideWeb. - When a youngster I also had such a machine and what we call nowadays internet was more in it's early stages. Communication was only available through the University accounts we had, meaning dial in with a slow as hell modem to the University servers and connect from there to the rest of the WWW (University and research networks, as some big techy company networks). Most communication ran those days only over emails, newsgroups and chatrooms etc. - All in all pretty limited in contrast to today, where every 8 year old Kiddie carries the whole internet practically in his pocket. :35_thinking:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2