You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

'new version of Affinity Photo?'

When I open Affinity Photo I am met with the announcement that there is a new version of AP. Nice but what does that mean? Is this a minor tweak or a major overhaul?

More specifically, I have been a bit depressed lately reading about the failures of your RAW processor and my own discovery that Affinity will not save the edits of my RAW files made in Digital Photo Professional. DPP has been lauded as a one of the better RAW processors especially for infrared work by one of the experts at LifePixel. 

So? Does the 'new version' of Affinity include a better RAW processor and one that can accept edits elsewhere?

Thanks, Photodoc16

Probably AP v1.7 beta is meant or you are using an older release version than is actual, you have to check here. - Related to RAW processing it depends on actual supported vendor cam models (if you use DPP then Canon in your case). Not sure what you mean with ...

1 hour ago, richard gold said:

...that Affinity will not save the edits of my RAW files made in Digital Photo Professional.

... here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you v_kyr,

However, I am a bit more confused now.

1. My version of AP is 1.6.4.104. Does that mean some minor tweaks on the new version and no major fixes to the RAW processor?

2. Yes, I shoot Canon and DPP is a Canon product. The problem is that the edits I make in DPP are not captured by AP. This seems to be a wider problem with AP as judged by others here in the Forum. AP is not recognizing other RAW processors. I can convert the files to JPEG after editing but isn't the IQ compromised?

How do I deal with this?

Thanks, Photodoc16

1 hour ago, richard gold said:

However, I am a bit more confused now.

1. My version of AP is 1.6.4.104. Does that mean some minor tweaks on the new version and no major fixes to the RAW processor?

2. Yes, I shoot Canon and DPP is a Canon product. The problem is that the edits I make in DPP are not captured by AP. This seems to be a wider problem with AP as judged by others here in the Forum. AP is not recognizing other RAW processors. I can convert the files to JPEG after editing but isn't the IQ compromised?

How do I deal with this?

1. First take a look if your Canon cam model and lenses are actually supported for the AP 1.6.x versions ...
    ->  Supported Raw Cameras (1.6.x)
    ->  Supported Lenses for SerifLabs RAW engine (1.6.x)
    ... if not check the AP 1.7.x beta which will probably have added support for some additional cameras and lenses since the used RAW and lense libraries have been actualized accordingly there.
  2. As said by HVDB Photography use and try out the Canon .CR2 RAW format if you have the choice for setup among different RAW formats for your Canon cam there. Other than that, the TIFF image format is also pretty usable as an exchange format between different photo and imaging software, in case AP really doesn't support your cam's RAW format yet.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Affinity Photo currently has the version number 1.6.5.135
The Changes or development to a RAW file are written by many RAW converteers e.g. Ligtroom, Photoshop, Darktable etc into a SideCar file.
(whether DPP writes sidecar files, no idea)
The sidecar files do not change the RAW file (lossless processing)
Unfortunately, Affinity Photo can neither write nor read sidecar files.
Affinity Photo opens RAW files in Develop Persona and after processing handed over to Photo Persona.
You can export the RAW files developed in DPP as a TIF or JPG file and continue editing in AP.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

3 hours ago, richard gold said:

In the News & Information forum, the Latest Affinity releases on each platform by store topic includes links to the release notes for each version. So for example, clicking the Affinity Designer Windows 1.6.5 link will show you all the changes since version 1.6.4.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7