You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn to Stone

Hello would anyone be able to make a tutorial showing how to take a photo of a person make it look like a statue? I saw this video for Photoshop however i was unable to figure out how to duplicate it in Affinity.?       www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCwcKEUcqcU&t=233s  thanks

Here’s the whole video:

I don’t think we can currently do this in Affinity Photo, because it relies on a displacement filter and the APh version of that filter hasn’t had its bugs ironed out.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well even the APh displacement filter has it's issues, you can come pretty close to what is shown there in that PS tut stone video. - Just give it your try ...

ap_statue.jpg.69cdc270ac7da6952ae1926502efcde5.jpg

statue_600.jpg.f568a7baee2c5246944ebec0f3f0eab8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it's a longer one, but hey therefore you explained a lot of things, made tryouts and shared thoughts how to make that statue in Affinity Photo a better one. So I believe it's valuable for other people to get some of those deeper insights you shown there in this tutorial. IMO good and educational valuable work!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Keep on doing these tutorials, with time I believe you will find the right balance for the right length of specific tutorials. Further better longer than too short, since not everybody is advanced in using the tools and newbies will for sure benefit from more detailed and descriptive representations!

Have I gone nuts or has part of this thread been deleted?  I know I watched a very good video tutorial by a fellow with a British accent, that showed some good techniques for doing this in Affinity photo with out the use of the displacement filter.  now that video is gone.   

• Staff

Angelize, no you've not gone nuts. The person who spent a long time making the tutorial has sadly left the community and requested all his content be withdrawn. I precipitated him leaving, which was absolutely not my intention, but I think that bridge is burnt. His contributions were generally very helpful and not inconsiderable and there are a number of threads like this one that are the poorer for its removal from the forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I watched the deleted video and made notes. I have been trying to implement this procedure, without success so far. The method described seemed logical, but I have been having problems with the Liquify tools. If I can't get them to work, I will be posing on the Questions Forum. When I do get the whole process to work, I will post a Tutorial here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630