You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow loading RAW, slow development

Hi,
just my very first test. Loaded a RAW file, Canon 5472 x 3648 px file, and clicked develop at once in the RAW persona. It took a little more than 33 sec. until the photo was developed.

I did the same in Photoshop, the RAW file converter opened and I sent it to PS and it opened. It took 13 sec.

Affinity Photo was 20 seconds slower than PS (latest version)..! Now, that is slow. (The Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 was 4 sec. slower than this latest beta, so it got a bit better.. :)

I am on a Win 10. 

PS: This pic is from the same series of photos the I tested in Affinity and PS was developed in another program. Nearly instant loading and development in that program. I like that.
As a RAW converter, Affinity Photo is very slow.
Besides this I like Affinity Photo in many other respects. Use it every day, not often PS.

IMG_5768.jpg

2 hours ago, Henry Stahle said:

I did the same in Photoshop, the RAW file converter opened and I sent it to PS and it opened. It took 13 sec.

That's actually surprisingly long – I just opened a Canon CR2 with almost identical dimensions. It either opens instantly in ACR when PS is already running, or only requires the time PS (as the host program for ACR) needs for startup (about 5 sec. here).

OK hifred, 

it was a bit quicker in ACR on my computer this morning, when I made a new test, even in Affinity. Still, ACR + PS is a quicker way. My other RAW developer, Canon DPP 4, is nearly instant in loading and developing. It is a simple software compared to the two others, but still a good RAW converter for a Canon user. Very useful. 

Affinity Photo is just great for photo editing and illustration. I love it.

A little slow thou, just like me. But I am old. Not new like Affinity software.

• Staff

Hi Henry,

The 1.7 beta introduced quicker loading times for raw files but it still isn't lightning quick unfortunately.

I have just done a quick comparison with 3 different raw types and they opened up in about 5-10 seconds. Photoshop was opening them in Camera Raw in around 4-5 seconds.

Your 33 seconds is a bit unusual in my experience but I know some users have reported similar (if not a little bit longer) times than that in the past. 

• 4 weeks later...

The latest beta, 1.7.0.209, takes about the same time as before for me on my old i5 Win 10 computer. From opening the raw file to the stop developing (see picture down) it took about 30 sec. In Photoshop it was about 4 times faster making the same process, just opening and developing the raw file. In CameraBag Pro and Canon Photo Pro 4 software the raw development was instant. 

I am not in a hurry, I am just a hobbyist, retired since 5 years, I have got all the time in the world. But slow performance is no fun when I am developing 500 pics (for a photobook) or so from our winter vacation up in the mountains.

snip_20181229130911.png

IMG_6854.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, Chris B said:

Photoshop was opening them in Camera Raw in around 4-5 seconds.

I just saw this: You likely want to say that ACR opens these RAWs in 4-5 seconds with Photoshop (as the host program for the RAW processor) not yet running, right? With PS already running, I would be surprised if you had to wait at all - ACR CS6 here opens dozens of images without any delay...

To be fair one really needs to say that there's currently a huge performance difference between Photoshop and Affinity Photo in RAW handling. Affinity Photo lets you wait for every single RAW file - even with the program already running. And obviously one should not even consider working on a dozen or more RAW files at once, as easily doable with Photoshop.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.