You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

#103 Filter - Voronoi - Catbug

• Staff

Hey W.Ingendahl,

I'm not seeing this on my own document.

When I opened yours, both the 300dpi and 400dpi documents looked similar as only half of the image had the filter applied. However, when I deleted the top pixel layer and applied the filter to the bottom pixel layer, the filter applied itself to the entire image.

I'm not really sure what's going wrong here and why I'm getting different results—have I missed something? 

I'm seeing the same thing (beta 103). I've attached an original image (just one pixel layer)

P1130203.thumb.JPG.ca4930c9d3ef7f14afc87e5b41fe2a13.JPG

along with the .afphoto created after running the Voronoi filter.

I've also attached a .mov of the entire process.

It's not visible in the movie, but in the real world the filter dialog becomes half-transparent without completely disappearing from the screen, I get the Spinning Beachball of Death for a second or so, and then the dialog is cleared and the image appears with its half-Voronoi treatment.

And after that (sometimes but not always), further images open as a blank background with some oddities in the RGB sliders - the display appears to be corrupted, and it almost looks as though a slice of the image is being displayed in one of the sliders. This is also shown in the .mov file. The only cure for this is to quit from the app and restart.

It seems to be related to the file size of the original image. The filter works fine with small files but gives up half-way through with larger ones. 

Let me know if you need more info.

H

P1130203_voronoi_2.afphoto

Edited by h_d
Removed irrelevant comment about file size.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Hello Chris B,

the filter would be applied to the entire pixel level, but only half will be rendered in Voronoi.

as h_d describes, the filter dialog remains semitransparent without disappearing.
And now and then there is a complete crash of the app.

I made 2 videos as an example.

Daten zum Rechner:

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MacBook Pro 13 Zoll
Prozessor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
Speicher 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Grafikkarte Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

• Staff

I've tried using an i7 MacBook Pro 2017 and an i7 MacBook Air 2014 and still cannot reproduce this. I did see a similar issue on a late iMac 2013 but it was just a screen redraw issue that fixed itself after a zoom. 

The files you guys have attached all export with this issue so it isn't a simple redraw. I've decided to log it even though I can't reproduce it in the hopes the developers can identify what's going on.

Thanks for participation! 

Many thanks @Chris B.

I'm pretty sure it's down to hardware acceleration:

101875952_Screenshot2018-12-05at17_36_02.png.3812bb02d56541dbb687c9e11ab98cb2.png

With Metal compute enabled, I consistently get the 'half Voronoi' effect.

With Metal compute unchecked, it works fine. This is on my somewhat ancient MacBook Air (Mid 2012) with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Morning guys,

Could you please install build 105 and let me know if you can reproduce this?
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/74721-affinity-photo-customer-beta-170105/

Dev have put a fix in which might fix it however they couldn't reproduce it either which makes it difficult to resolve, as you can probably imagine. Many thanks! 

Sorry @Chris B, I'm still getting the 'half Voronoi' effect with Metal Compute enabled on my mid 2012 MacBook Air (Intel Graphics 4000) running Mojave 10.14.2 and Affinity Photo build 1.7.0.105.

ADD: The Voronoi filter works fine with Metal Compute disabled.

Cheers,

H

Edited by h_d
Added info

• Staff
22 minutes ago, h_d said:

Sorry @Chris B, I'm still getting the 'half Voronoi' effect with Metal Compute enabled on my mid 2012 MacBook Air (Intel Graphics 4000) running Mojave 10.14.2 and Affinity Photo build 1.7.0.105.

ADD: The Voronoi filter works fine with Metal Compute disabled.

Cheers,

H

Ah, that's disappointing. I'll update the developers. Thanks for getting back so soon! 

Hallo @Chris B,

ich habe heute mal die Beta 105 getestet beim Voronoi Filter tauchen immer noch die Probleme auf, wenn Metal eingeschaltet ist.
Bei abgeschalteten Metal-Beschleunigung funktioniert der Filter gut.

Ich habe 2 Videos als Beispiel gemacht.

Daten zum Rechner:

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MacBook Pro 13 Zoll (Mitte 2012)

• Staff
17 hours ago, W.Ingendahl said:

Hallo @Chris B,

ich habe heute mal die Beta 105 getestet beim Voronoi Filter tauchen immer noch die Probleme auf, wenn Metal eingeschaltet ist.
Bei abgeschalteten Metal-Beschleunigung funktioniert der Filter gut.

Ich habe 2 Videos als Beispiel gemacht.

Test_Beta_1_7_0_005_Filter_Voronoi_mitMetal_001.mov Test_Beta_1_7_0_005_Filter_Voronoi_ohneMetal_002.mov

Hallo W.Ingendahl,

Vielen Dank :) Ich habe die Entwickler aktualisiert.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, I've updated to build 1.7.0.107 and with Metal Compute enabled, I've still got the same 'half Voronoi' (or in some cases 'no Voronoi') issue, along with occasional display corruption in the Colour palette after applying the filter. It works fine without Metal Compute.

Still on the same 2012 13" MacBook Air (Intel 4000 graphics). I'm getting an upgrade soon though :11_blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Daten zum Rechner:

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 / 10.14.03
MacBook Pro 13 Zoll (Mitte 2012)

Hallo @Chris B,
Ich habe heute die Beta 110 getestet, der Voronoi Filter arbeitet jetzt mit und ohne
Metal-Beschleunigung gut. :-)

Hello @ Chris B,
I tested Beta 110 today, the Voronoi filter works well with and without metal acceleration. :-)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.