You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in Duplicating with "Command"or"Ctrl" click & drag [1.7.0.2]

Hi,

I had this issue with publisher before and i thought it was by design exclusive to Publisher but now that i see it reacquiring on Designer Beta, I think it must be a bug. When i hold "Command" or "Ctrl" to click and drag an item to replicate, it shows that its replicating but as soon as i release "Command" (While still dragging the item) the replication disappears and and just moves the original item.

I Tried to preview the bug on video

• Staff

Hi Aaron Martin,

This isn't a bug, it is a slight change we've made to make duplicating and dragging an object a bit more fluid. Previously we would duplicate the object and then move it as two separate commands which meant that if you changed your mind you would have to do two undos.

However now it is done as a single 'Duplicate and Transform' action which means that it only requires a single undo if you make a mistake, or if you change your mind you can simply release 'Cmd' part way through the drag to turn it to a regular move action.

12 hours ago, MattP said:

It's worth noting that you can add that Command key press at any point during the drag and it'll turn it into a clone. To get the old behaviour, you could use Alt/Option to start the clone-drag and then releasing it does not cancel that clone :)

I always want to use Symbols but find that  by the time i remember to set it up i already have lots of cloned objects and variations on the canvas and relinking everything seems like a bigger pain...

It might be beneficial to add a “Clone and Make Original a Symbol” command and/or perhaps add it as an option for the Assistant to automatically add the original object being cloned / duplicated to the Symbols palette.. Kinda like having AD suggest “best practices” for the user.

The same could be done with AD automatically adding “Smart Global Colors” to an automatically generated “Smart Document” palette based on the colors of objects created by the user. And if the user deletes the objects using that Smart Global Color, AD would also delete the corresponding colors from the Smart Document palette (this could be a preferenced behavior). 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

On 11/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, Sean P said:

Previously we would duplicate the object and then move it as two separate commands which meant that if you changed your mind you would have to do two undos.

Or just press delete, which is one step.

I dont get it. It might be just me but i prefer the initial way and was annoyed on how publisher was handling it in beta. Seemed logically simpler. But maybe its just me. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.