You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Affinity Photo)I use the Marquee Tool,but how to "stroke" ?

34 minutes ago, pjwaixingren said:

HI,I don`t know how to Stroke ...

I use the Marquee Tool,but how to "stroke"  ?

Thank you : )!

Go Select > Outline and decide how much and where you want the stroke to be aligned, Inside, outside or centred

outline.jpg.1167af224264c282e60dc6e642c5ba14.jpg

Then Edit > Fill for the colour of choice.

fill.jpg.89d7562270e4d7e827fa717504e082a1.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You can make a macro with adjustable settings.

Stroke Selection.afmacro

You can edit the macro to add different Stroke widths and different fills

Bear in mind afmacros aren't as sophisticated as adobe PS actions... yet ;-)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

All the Affinity marquee tools & the freehand selection tool do is just to create raster selections, not vector shapes, so they do not have built-in editable stroke or fill properties like vector objects do. You can use the methods mentioned by @toltec or @firstdefence to fill a raster selection with colored pixels, but for all except freehand selections, it is much simpler & more straightforward to use the Rectangle or Ellipse vector shape tools, which also means you can edit their fill & stoke properties at any time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I suppose the follow-on question is what is the selection to be used for?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I suppose the follow-on question is what is the selection to be used for?

Not much use with a rectangle perhaps, but I often make a selection around an object, then use the stroke (or outline) option to adjust the edges. Maybe blur, lighten, HSL or something like that. Very handy sometimes :) I can also paint inside the selection outline with varying brushes for a bit of selective edge control, the brushes being constrained inside the outline.

Not something you can always do by any other method. It works quite well with green-screen photography to remove the green show-through.

53 minutes ago, toltec said:

then use the stroke (or outline) option to adjust the edges. Maybe..............

Aha! Those suggestions are going to be useful for a problem I've been stuck on for some time.

Thanks (yet again) Toltec for helping me think outside the [marquee] box!   :35_thinking:

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 12:47 AM, toltec said:

Go Select > Outline and decide how much and where you want the stroke to be aligned, Inside, outside or centred

Then Edit > Fill for the colour of choice.

Is there an equivalent method to stroke a selection on the iPad version? Thanks

28 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is there an equivalent method to stroke a selection on the iPad version? Thanks

Sure.

In the Selection Persona, make a selection, choose the Outline Tool 

6A50B8A5-67A3-4E2A-A093-BEA3F401B167.png.d11c582f1d667644995e51461b5c964b.png

and apply the width and alignment settings on the Context Toolbar

82EDB41D-904C-40FF-944E-DCE4D03A4049.png.d86edb32f9c6e3b36e8784ea966a62a7.png

Dont forget to tap the tick.

7 hours ago, toltec said:

Sure.

In the Selection Persona, make a selection, choose the Outline Tool 

and apply the width and alignment settings on the Context Toolbar

Dont forget to tap the tick.

Thank you, @toltec! That helps get me started. And so sorry... after doing a search, I didn't realize I was in the DESKTOP group. :( 

I've got reasonable experience with Affinity Photo. So I'm embarrassed to say that I'm still missing something really simple here, because it's still not working for me. :$

1. I go to the Selections Persona
  2. I use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make my selection (alternately the Elliptical Marquee tool)
  3. I then choose the Outline Selection Tool to apply the Radius and position I want
  4. I tap the check/tick to accept it. 

But no stroke is made. (It should be red according to the active color I've selected earlier). Also sometimes the marquee is visible and sometimes not, depending upon how much I've zoomed in (a bug that hopefully the developers will fix).

I know I need to fill this double marquee with a color, but how do I now do this??

This particular operation seems uncharacteristically UN-intuitive in Affinity Photo for both the desktop as well as on the iPad, whereas it's pretty straightforward in Photoshop.  

Hi @Ulysses

It only makes a selection, it won’t fill it.

Once you make an outline selection, you have a choice.

Go back to the Pixel Persona and in the Layers Studio, tap the + and create a new Fill layer. It will be confined to the selection area only (your outline) Set it to any colour you want. Adjust the Opacity, add noise etc. Because it is a Fill Layer, you can adjust it at any time.

Alternatively, for a cruder option, back in the Pixel Persona, select the Flood Fill tool, set the tolerance quite high and flood the inside of the outline.

Do make sure it is a pixel layer, not an image layer if you use the Flood Fill Tool, or it fills the whole layer.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, toltec said:

It only makes a selection, it won’t fill it.

Once you make an outline selection, you have a choice.

Very helpful, @toltec. Thank you! As often happens, sometimes the answer is right under the nose. Still, I wish this simple operation was more intuitive and more Affinity-like. 9_9