Jaffa

Have a "New" option for the Selection Brush

Am not sure why the rectangular marquee has a "New" option, but the selection brush hasn't.  It is not a big deal to choose new by changing to the rectangular marquee when you

want to move a selection area (but not the content), however would be simpler if it could all be done from the selection brush.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.7

Nik Collection

Amd processor 6 Core,  8 Mgs RAM

For now, since the Selection Brush doesn't have the "New" option, instead of switching to the Marquee tool it may be easier to simply type ctrl+d (Windows) or cmd+d (Mac) which are the default shortcuts for Select > Deselect.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

The ESC key will also remove the selection without having to change tools

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

But, Walt & Carl, this has nothing to do with select/deselect, it is about moving a selection to put it into another area, without copying the underlying data in the initial area.  Maybe you don't know that this is possible?

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.7

Nik Collection

14 hours ago, Jaffa said:

But, Walt & Carl, this has nothing to do with select/deselect, it is about moving a selection to put it into another area, without copying the underlying data in the initial area.  Maybe you don't know that this is possible?

Sorry, I missed the part about moving a selection outline in your post.

But I don't think it's having New as an option that allows that for the marquee tools. It's simply that the marquee tools allow you to move their selection outlines, and the Selection Brush doesn't.

If you want to move a selection outline you made with the Selection Brush, just press V to choose the Move tool, move the selection, then press V again to get back to the Selection Brush. (Sorry; I had the wrong layer selected.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But I don't think it's having New as an option that allows that for the marquee tools. It's simply that the marquee tools allow you to move their selection outlines, and the Selection Brush doesn't.

Hi Walt - but that's the best way I have found to move the selection outline, by using "new".  Got that from the learning I did in Photoshop and transferred that knowledge to Affinity Photo.  It works fine.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you want to move a selection outline you made with the Selection Brush, just press V to choose the Move tool, move the selection, then press V again to get back to the Selection Brush.

Using the Move tool does not move the selection outline, Walt.  When I have got the selection outline to the area I want,  I do a Ctrl+j to copy -- and then use the Move tool to move the copied area back to cover the initial selection area. Job done!

(Jim)

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.7

Nik Collection

12 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Using the Move tool does not move the selection outline, Walt.

Yes, it does. I tried it just before posting, and repeated the experiment again after reading your reply. The Move Tool will move a selection outline created by the Selection Brush Tool.

Sorry; I had the wrong layer selected.

-- Walt

@walt.farrell

I think the OP just wants to move the marching ants rather than move the pixels the marching ants contain.

I cant get it to do this with just the Move Tool either - this just moves the selected pixels for me.

The only way I can just get the marching ants to move is to switch to the Move Tool, press Q (quick mask), move the "selection" then press Q again

But the OP's original workaround is probably just as quick if not quicker

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

11 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@walt.farrell

I think the OP just wants to move the marching ants rather than move the pixels the marching ants contain.

I cant get it to do this with just the Move Tool either - this just moves the selected pixels for me.

The only way I can just get the marching ants to move is to switch to the Move Tool, press Q (quick mask), move the "selection" then press Q again

But the OP's original workaround is probably just as quick if not quicker

Thanks. I didn't notice in my test that I had an adjustment layer selected. Once I selected the pixel layer my suggestion no longer worked.

-- Walt