You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher will not open Pages for Mac word processor documents

I note that Publisher will not open documents from "Pages for Mac", is there a reason for that ?  I know that Pages documents can be converted to a PDF and then Publisher will open them, Copy and Paste will also work, but those detours are very inconvenient.

Thanks

Not a big problem. Publisher could be the super type-setting-oriented-word-processor that I'm looking for,  one that would take FontLab's Text tool a step further. Publisher as an InDesign alternative for the publishing business is improbable, at least not in the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Save your Pages text ad RTF, and you can import it into Publisher.

Saving as PDF may be safer, given the experiences of some users (one in particular) in this forum with importing RTF text from Mac. Seems to have a number of surprising and hard to find settings that mess things up. I suspect (though I do not know for sure) that PDF may transfer in with cleaner results and fewer surprises.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Good advice Walt, I know that I can trust PDF to respect a font as designed by its creator. The publishing industry and printers relie heavily on PDF documents and Pages documents are easily converted to PDF.  My comment about Publisher not being able to read Pages files was not a good one as pointed out by Mac, I have to look deeper into Publisher's vocation and how I can use it in my work.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Andredu said:

Does that mean that font embedding is not supported by Publisher or that it does support it somewhat but not correctly ?

Affinity softwares open PDFs as editable and if you do not have used fonts in your system they will be replaced with some others.

While it would be nice to import pages-format normal work flow would be to convert to rtf and import that.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

While it would be nice to import pages-format normal work flow would be to convert to rtf and import that

But as we have seen in some other threads, using RTF like that can result in some very odd behavior (formatting), that can be very hard to diagnose and fix.

I am coming to think that it would be easier to copy/paste from a PDF. Or to convert to plain text, and redo all the formatting.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

convert to plain text, and redo all the formatting.

Yes. No imported hidden problems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:11 PM, mac_heibu said:

The problem is, particularily concerning fonts, you definitely actually can‘t rely on Publisher, because it can‘t deal correctly with embedded fonts.

This is not a problem in this context.  Supposedly the PDF was created on the same computer that exported the document from Pages and thus the same fonts should be available.  Pages couldn't have embedded the font to begin with if it were not available on the computer.

• 3 years later...

I'm asking the same question--but a few years' down the timeline. I made an RTF version for opening in Publisher. No go [greyed-out in Finder]. What's the current workaround to save me a very tedious c/v + complete reformatting process for a 400pp manuscript? Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, WilliamB108 said:

I'm asking the same question--but a few years' down the timeline. I made an RTF version for opening in Publisher. No go [greyed-out in Finder]. What's the current workaround to save me a very tedious c/v + complete reformatting process for a 400pp manuscript? Thanks. 

Try exporting to .docx format instead of PDF. I try and discourage people from using the PDF as an interchange format, it is more of a finished product format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, WilliamB108 said:

I made an RTF version for opening in Publisher. No go [greyed-out in Finder].

You should be able to Place (not Open) a .rtf file, or a .docx file, in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC: