You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New layer colour change

It'd be great if when manually adding a new layer automatically assigns a new layer colour.

Pasting shapes or adding images should be added by default to the current layer.

This makes a lot of sense for a straight up design and layout workflow, maybe less for pure illustration.

+1 for each layer having its own layer colour, but for me, instead of adding it automatically I would prefer a behaviour similar to Illustrator's where it prompts me to choose to a colour when I create a new layer. Many people might prefer the automatic style but there are times when the layer colour and the colour of the objects are too similar and it is difficult to see, so I prefer to set the colour myself.  

Not necessarily. You can solve that with a little bit of logic. If you make an array of dissimilar colours you could just pick one "that isn't the current colour" then add that to a bucket with previously selected colours as layers are added so they do not repeat. When you get to the end of the array you can simply start over. Say if you specified 64 distinct colours

AshTeriyaki,

I see what you mean but if there is no prompt to choose a colour how would you know that the layer colour isn't the same or a similar colour as to the artwork on the layer? For me, I still think the user should be presented with a choice when creating a new layer (like in Illustrator) where you can name the layer and as well, choose a colour for that layer. That way the end user can determine which colour would work best for that layer. For me, I like to choose a colour that easily stands out compared to the other artwork on that layer (and possibly other artwork on the layers below it). There simply isn't a way to have the program automatically choose the best colour because the best colour is a variable determined by the user (being subjective, it is completely different for every user). For beginning users I can imagine that having the layer colour set automatically is better for them but for more advanced users I don't think it wouldn't work. For me, the work that I do in Affinity Designer is of varying colours and so any set colour pattern wouldn't work as eventually one of the colours would blend in with the artwork that I'm trying to create. In the very least, if there are predetermined colours, at least let them be user definable. Maybe someone on the Affinity team has a more elegant solution? Whatever the case, I hope that something along the lines of layer colours is added in the future. 

MEB,

Thanks for the tip and the help. For some reason, I can't get that to work for me. I use a one button mouse but I do a control + click which should be the same as a right click but I don't get anything that looks like your screen shot. I tried other key combos as well but I got nothing. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Hokusai

Just for the record, I know you can change layer colours :) 

In a lot of workflows (Outside of straight up illustration) you use layers to have different states for a graphic or overlays, so having new layers automatically change colour without the slow step of specifying a new colour would be advantageous. Or you could have a preference that determines if this happens or not I suppose.

Miguel, I get the layer color option when I right click; HOWEVER, the Eyedropper's apply color dot doesn't work. When you press on the little circular color preview next to the eye-dropper to apply it, AD does nothing...

This behavior is happening in another one of AD's color picker panel, I've posted about it elsewhere...

This is what you should see when you right-click on a layer (not an object) in the layers panel:

attachicon.giflayer_color.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17