I have been using Designer to edit a pdf document exported from an Apple DTP program. The text in question imported OK as paragraph text. (Some text had imported as curves.) I would like to increase the spacing between the '7.00' and the 'pm' in the time. I select Artistic Text, I place the  cursor between the '0' and the 'p', then select the Character panel. In the Kerning entry, I click the down-arrow and all the kerning options are set to zero. I have also tried selecting the adjacent characters, with the same result.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I have been using Designer to edit a pdf document exported from an Apple DTP program. The text in question imported OK as paragraph text. (Some text had imported as curves.) I would like to increase the spacing between the '7.00' and the 'pm' in the time. I select Artistic Text, I place the  cursor between the '0' and the 'p', then select the Character panel. In the Kerning entry, I click the down-arrow and all the kerning options are set to zero. I have also tried selecting the adjacent characters, with the same result.

John

I’ve just arrived here to ask the same question for the iPad version, kerning appears locked at zero on every font I’ve tried, following ...

EDIT: Found solution for iPad, you have to place your cursor in between the letters you want to separate as you mentioned above. Lol.

Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

40 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

John

Hello John Rostron,

Place the cursor between 0 and P, hold down the "Alt" key and use the "Right Arrow" key on the keyboard to increase the space between the two characters. Use the left arrow to decrease this space.

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I would like to increase the spacing between the '7.00' and the 'pm' in the time. I select Artistic Text, I place the  cursor between the '0' and the 'p', then select the Character panel. In the Kerning entry, I click the down-arrow and all the kerning options are set to zero.

That is just a list of preset kerning values you can choose one from (so they should not be greyed out), or alternately you can type a value directly into the Kerning text field, even very large or small numbers like -1000 or 2000.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I would like to increase the spacing between the '7.00' and the 'pm' in the time.

Why do you want to use kerning, John? Wouldn’t it be easier (and arguably more logical) to insert a narrow space instead? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

16 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Why do you want to use kerning, John? Wouldn’t it be easier (and arguably more logical) to insert a narrow space instead? :/

I use kerning for such times in Word, and it seems a logical way to do it. I actually ended up putting in a space and set it to a smaller font. In theory, I might get a line break there, which I would not get if I used kerning. I could use a non-breaking space if I knew how to do so!

@reglico, @toltec, @R C-R, I will try your suggestions

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

36 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I could use a non-breaking space if I knew how to do so!

John

Text > Insert Character > Non-Breaking Space or press Alt + Space.

nbs.png.670118e9d69fd5fe60fe2765ac2e4c71.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 minutes ago, toltec said:

Text > Insert Character > Non-Breaking Space or press Alt + Space.

I can’t see an equivalent command in AD on iPad. I’m guessing it isn’t available. :(

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I followed @toltec's suggestion and entered my kerning value directly. This worked with no problem.

John