You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot record channel masks when recording a macro

Hey there super helpful community 

I am working on creatina green screen macro to remove greenscreen and I am having an issue. 

I duplicated the image 

THen I switched the color over to lab color 

And when I go to only make the B channel viewable....it tells me it cannot "record set view channel mask"

My question is .....WHY? 

Because the Macro facility in Photo is rudimentary, hopefully it will get better.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi everybody,

I just found a trick with non recordable features. 

I wanted to create a macro that sets a group of adjustment layers and a fill layer with a gradient to emulate an adjustable neutral density gradient filter. But when I tried to record the macro, I realized that the gradient tool couldn't be recorded (the position of the fill layer was also difficult to set). I created this set without recording and copied the group. Then I recorded the macro with a simple clear selection and paste. 

I tried this macro several time and it always creates the whole gradient set, even if I copy something else, or close the app, or shut down the computer. I tried with several macros created with the same process and they seems to work fine for now and it helps a lot.

It is not very academic and I don't know if it's a correct way to bypass the limitations of the macro feature but maybe it is worth to have a look at it and see if there is issues with that method.

Regards
Fx

4 hours ago, FxRphoto said:

Hi everybody,

I just found a trick with non recordable features. 

I wanted to create a macro that sets a group of adjustment layers and a fill layer with a gradient to emulate an adjustable neutral density gradient filter. But when I tried to record the macro, I realized that the gradient tool couldn't be recorded (the position of the fill layer was also difficult to set). I created this set without recording and copied the group. Then I recorded the macro with a simple clear selection and paste. 

I tried this macro several time and it always creates the whole gradient set, even if I copy something else, or close the app, or shut down the computer. I tried with several macros created with the same process and they seems to work fine for now and it helps a lot.

It is not very academic and I don't know if it's a correct way to bypass the limitations of the macro feature but maybe it is worth to have a look at it and see if there is issues with that method.

Regards
Fx

~If workarounds didn't exist the world would fall apart ;) 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, FxRphoto said:

I created this set without recording and copied the group. Then I recorded the macro with a simple clear selection and paste. 

Very clever! :)

As I understand it, this works because the paste step saves whatever is on the clipboard at the time the macro is recorded as part of the macro. So since when you recorded your macro that was your group of layers, that is what would be pasted in any other document by using that macro. It should work basically the same way if you just select those layers without grouping them, copy that to the clipboard, & then record a macro with the paste step in it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

As I understand it, this works because the paste step saves whatever is on the clipboard at the time the macro is recorded as part of the macro.

I guess so

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

It should work basically the same way if you just select those layers without grouping them, copy that to the clipboard, & then record a macro with the paste step in it.

Exactly. I use a group just for the purpose of the gradient since it is the only way to apply several adjustment to the same fill layer.

The only thing to keep in mind is that, with this method, everything that is copied will be pasted when the macro is runned, even the background layer. So, be sure not to copy it before creating the macro. Otherwise, the same background used to create your macro will always be pasted when you use that macro. (obvious, but it worth remind it)

Fx

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

As I understand it, this works because the paste step saves whatever is on the clipboard at the time the macro is recorded as part of the macro. 

Yes, thats the way it works -  i tried with copy/paste some text (creating text = not recordable) and this layers will recrate as text in new docs. But the macro is quiet big, it seems it takes intern bimtaps of it? However, very good news :-)

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

On 7/5/2018 at 6:47 PM, R C-R said:

It should work basically the same way if you just select those layers without grouping them, copy that to the clipboard, & then record a macro with the paste step in it.

After further experiment, the group is necessary. I tried without grouping, just with an adjustment layer and a fill layer with the gradient as a child. It's odd but only the layers are pasted, not the gradient. If I just make a group with the adjustment layer and its child including the gradient, then it works fine. 

Fx