You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There have been several other topics asking about this, & to simplify only slightly the general consensus is the defaults the app automatically chooses for you based on the specs of your machine are almost always the best ones to use. Only if something is not working as expected is it recommended that anything be changed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Leigh said:

His suggestions are as fallows fo a 2015 MacBook Pro.:

I can help with some of those! (and the basic answer is - it's best to just leave them all at their defaults unless you have a specific problem!)

- Dither gradients = slower by about 7% when turned on, but looks nicer so best left on

- Precise clipping = slower - sometimes by quite a lot, and not something you'll usually be able to see either, so best left off

- Hardware OpenGL = a LOT faster if it's turned on! Otherwise it reverts back to software implementation which will mean that there is less CPU time free to draw the document

- Integrated GPU only = if you have a MacBook Pro then it will (by default) try to pick the discrete card (if you have one) which is fastest but uses more power. I have mine set to only use the integrated GPU because my 2015 MacBook Pro has a bit of a 'wobble' on the screen when it goes in/out of discrete GPU

Hope that helps a bit :)

Matt

if I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 15, with the latest version of metal:  

I am trying out  Metal Dither Gradients.  Lets see how that work.    I still think that affinity should gives us a recommendation for the best way to optimize the Programs for 2018.

Is metal the way to go!?

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

15 minutes ago, willypimentel said:

I still think that affinity should gives us a recommendation for the best way to optimize the Programs for 2018.

I am not sure what you mean by "for 2018" but it still boils down to letting the app decide which settings are optimum for your hardware & not changing any of them unless you have an obvious problem with the app's performance.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean by "for 2018" but it still boils down to letting the app decide which settings are optimum for your hardware & not changing any of them unless you have an obvious problem with the app's performance.

well, I mean that Metal is being updated and working better now days with the latest High Sierra and Further MoJave.  I am curious as to the state Of metal in the latest Affinity's.  I see your point of not using any of the options until I have a problem.   that is one route, but I am interested in speeding things up as they say that Metal will do!!  I am trying out Metal to see how it work out ...    I tell you, it seems faster to me!!  maybe I am mistaken

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Not quite the same issue, but a question about specification for a Windows PC.  My 10 year old desktop is giving up and constantly crashing, so I'm contemplating its replacement.  What is a good specification that will run Affinity Photo with ease and speed.  I've got a good monitor, so I'm thinking of a lap-top...  Suggestions for spec and ideas on brand most welcome.  Thank you.

First thing on the check list is make sure it has a SSD drive

Out of interest why a Laptop?  Do you have a specific need for the portability or just to save some space on your desk?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.