You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Arnulf,

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for providing your file this appears to be a bug I have logged it with our developers to be investigated further.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hello Arnulf,
in my estimation, your camera is not supported in Affinity Photo, for whatever reason.
I have the raw file in the following programs opened
Darktable, Photoshop CC 2018, DxO ans Affinit Photo.
Darktable and Affinity have  no camera profile deposited,
that's why the photo is shown that way, how it is stored on the chip.
Interesting is like the programs with camera profile, the raw file be cropped.
See attached screenshots.

It should only show what I have found.

Panasonic Affinity-Photo.jpg

Panasonic Darktable.jpg

Panasonic DxO.jpg

Panasonic PS CC2018.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

This is probably mostly due to the fact, that there is no lens correction data entry in the lensfun db available for the Panasonic DMC-TZ60 and thus the opened RAW images look distorted for that cam.

See:

... and also this older related thread ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

FWIW this is how the image opens in Raw Photo Processor 64 on the Mac:

5ab40f512405c_ScreenShot2018-03-22at20_16_16.png.37c402192161931b6c564f65b0e59bfb.png

I'd expect the flat tones, as RPP64 opens files as close to raw as you can get -  but again there's no lens correction. I wonder if it's worth updating the firmware on your camera. I shoot Panasonic (GX-7) and I've never had issues like this with .rw2 files in any application.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

15 hours ago, h_d said:

I'd expect the flat tones, as RPP64 opens files as close to raw as you can get ...

I had never heard of this app until you mentioned it. Your "as close to raw as you can get" comment inspired me to do a bit of online research, which eventually took me to its FAQ page. I found several things mentioned there quite interesting, particularly the discussion of "slow & precise" 32 bit FP math vs. faster but less precise integer math & the rather blunt explanation of why raw files look underexposed ("because they are").

Some of this stuff seems somewhat applicable to Affinity Photo, like why by default it does not produce results with as much "punch" as other apps & why that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I am still in the dark (pun intended) about many aspects of raw file development but posts like this one get me a bit closer to where I would like to be, so thank you for sharing it. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

xD The learning curve on RPP 64 is steep, but that FAQ is very helpful and I enjoy using it.

It's a personal thing I suppose, but I would rather start with the basics rather than the presets that seem to be applied in most so-called "Raw Developers" to make the image look "good". As you say,  AP can be configured to get close to the original, which is why I smile wryly when I see posts here along the lines of "AP makes my raw pictures look wrong."

The really powerful thing about RPP 64 is that you can apply batch settings to groups of raw files, based on folder, camera, almost anything. It will process and export to a wide range of formats without even opening the images in the UI, which speeds things up incredibly.  Now if AP could do that...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

There's also the RPP Manual, accessed through the application's Help menu, which give some helpful pointers about getting the most out of it.

Sadly that software hasn't been updated for a longer time now and thus doesn't support newer brand cam models. Also there is no lens finetuning available.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Sadly that software hasn't been updated for a longer time now and thus doesn't support newer brand cam models. Also there is no lens finetuning available.

That's true. I'm still using a supported camera, but when I grow rich and buy a new one, I'll probably have to wave RPP goodbye.