You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm just setting up a new document that is going to have multiple artboards of the same dimensions but I only can see the document margins displayed for first artboard. Additional artboards don't appear to display them. Is this normal?

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Jonopen,

This is by design. You have to set up the margins for each artboard individually (since they can vary between them depending on the design), selecting the artboard and going to File ▸ Document Setup..., Margins tab, ticking Include Margins and setting them up.

I may have misunderstood your post. Are you saying that the margins preview on canvas aren't appearing for the other artboards? Please select one of the artboards which is not displaying them then go to File ▸ Document Setup..., Margins tab, and check if they are correctly set up.

v1.6.3.103 (beta)

Hi MEB, thanks for reply. I'm just going over what you suggested but now I can't seem to see any margins at all. I've checked View -> Show Margins is active and attached a screen shot of the Document settings.

If you can see margins for both artboards in the attached file then presumably something's wrong my end. I've checked that I can display margins set for a document with no artboards (see screenshot immediately below).

400x400px_page_showing-10px_margins.png

400x400px_artboard_not_showing_10px_margins.png

artboard_margins_not_displaying.afdesign

document_settings.png

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Seems a bug on Windows. If you go to File ▸ Document Setup, Margins tab and untick Include Margins, then tick it again and press Ok it seems to display them correctly (you have to do this for both artboards), but on opening the file it doesn't display them as it should.

On the Mac it also doesn't display them however here it doesn't have the margin values listed in the Margins tab - they appear all empty/greyed out. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thank you for letting us know about the issue.

• 1 month later...

This problem still exists, even on the latest 1.6.4.104 release.

I'm having trouble working around for multiple art-boards each time I open the document.

I have posted a video to explain what's troubling me.

As you can see, this problem is only with the art-boards.
And also, the values once entered in the document creation window is stored in the document setup field and it doesn't update at all.

Please watch the video to understand the issue more clearly.

Please solve this issue soon.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, MEB said:

Seems a bug on Windows. If you go to File ▸ Document Setup, Margins tab and untick Include Margins, then tick it again and press Ok it seems to display them correctly (you have to do this for both artboards), but on opening the file it doesn't display them as it should.

On the Mac it also doesn't display them however here it doesn't have the margin values listed in the Margins tab - they appear all empty/greyed out. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thank you for letting us know about the issue.

Hi, your post was created back in February. Has this issue been resolved as it is still the same in the latest v.1.6.1 ????

As you mentioned, the Margins do not even show on a Mac and the fields on the Margins tab are empty???

Please advise.

Thanks

Since the Beta installs in parallel with the Retail version, you have nothing to lose by installing it now, and having the fix straight away.

And, if you do ever come across a bug in the Beta, simply revert to the Retail to work around the issue.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2018 at 7:52 PM, Chopper said:

Hi, your post was created back in February. Has this issue been resolved as it is still the same in the latest v.1.6.1 ????

As you mentioned, the Margins do not even show on a Mac and the fields on the Margins tab are empty???

Please advise.

Thanks

Still happen in Mac latest version to the date

• Staff

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for raising this up again. The original issue was fixed on Windows but there's still problems on macOS. After setting margins for each artboard, if we go to File > Document Setup, Margins tab, the values are there but greyed out and the Include Margins check box is unticked (despite the margins still visible on canvas) - this issue is already logged but wasn't fixed yet. Is this what you are experiencing too or is there anything else i may be missing?

12 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for raising this up again. The original issue was fixed on Windows but there's still problems on macOS. After setting margins for each artboard, if we go to File > Document Setup, Margins tab, the values are there but greyed out and the Include Margins check box is unticked (despite the margins still visible on canvas) - this issue is already logged but wasn't fixed yet. Is this what you are experiencing too or is there anything else i may be missing?

Hi, MEB. Apparently, yes. But in my case, it is only appeared on the first Artboard, then i need to set each of other artboard manually for the margins.

• Staff

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Margins are independent for each artboard so you can have different types of artwork in the same document (business cards, web banners, stationary etc) and set the margins accordingly for each type when/if required (select the artboard layer then go to File > Document Setup to set different margins for each one) . What behaviour were you expecting here? That all artboards created afterwards the creation of the document inherit the margins from the first one?

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Chapit Zulkefli,
Margins are independent for each artboard so you can have different types of artwork in the same document (business cards, web banners, stationary etc) and set the margins accordingly for each type when/if required (select the artboard layer then go to File > Document Setup to set different margins for each one) . What behaviour were you expecting here? That all artboards created afterwards the creation of the document inherit the margins from the first one?

Hi,

Yes. I'm expecting it to inherit the same. But as if it is not possible, it is ok then. I think i need to live with it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.