You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I apologise if this is a known feature or problem but I am stuck:
I wish to create a block of text in the shape of a trapezium.  When I use the default shape tool all works as expected with the margins of the text following the trapezium shape.  However, I wish my shape to resemble a plastic coffee cup, wider at the top than the bottom.  When I add frame text to the inverted trapezium it is displayed upside down and back to front. Is there a way of resetting the text entry to the top left and having it flow normally?  I have tried to attach a screen shot of the problem.

best wishes

Simon

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 21.20.48.png

• Staff

I don't know how you've created the 'inverted trapezium' but if it involved transforming it to flip it, then this is why it's doing what it's doing. You can quickly get around this by hitting 'Convert to Curves' on the shape before converting it to a text frame. Alternatively, if you attach your document here we can try to help talk you through what's happening and why :)

Thanks,

Matt

Initially I used the trapeziod tool/shape and then inverted it using the rotation handle.  I have just had a second attempt trying to follow your advice.  If I invert the shape then convert to curved the text is upside down and reads bottom to top right to left.  If however I place a trapezium and then convert to curves then adjust the shape the text is o.k. when I use a text frame.  So it seems that the transformation is retained following a conversion to curves.  An example is attached - the text was grabbed from the internet and is part of my daughters A level Art project.

Thanks

Simon

Problem.afdesign

• Staff

Hmmm, sorry about that. I think that what I was thinking of was not 'Convert to Curves', but instead if you just make your trapezoid and rotate it, then 'Add' (Layer->Geometry->Add) another shape to it (inside it so that it doesn't affect the outline) then you will create a new shape without any transform applied to it.

Thanks again,

Matt

56 minutes ago, MattP said:

'Add' (Layer->Geometry->Add) another shape to it (inside it so that it doesn't affect the outline)

Alternatively, intersect ('Layer > Geometry > Intersect') with a rectangle which completely encloses the original shape. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, still no dice!  Just in case its important I'm using version v1.6 .  The "add" option remains greyed out so it is not an option.  However, my solution is as follows:  create a trapezium then invert it to make a coffee cup shape.  Next open the snapping manager and enable snapping along with "snap to object geometry".  Use the pen tool to trace over the cup, double clicking on the first/final point to close the shape, I started and ended at the top left.  The first shape may be deleted.  The new shape object may be resized as required and text added using the frame text command. This text runs as expected left to right , top to bottom.  A bit of a kludge but it does work here.

Thanks

Simon

1 minute ago, Skids said:

Thanks Alfred,  this method works a treat, once I figured how to select both shapes!

You’re welcome, Simon. Matt’s method works just as well, but again you need to select both shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...

I am still a newbie but I am having a similar problem, only my inverted text is in a simple frame text...no curves...no shapes...just a simple frame text. When I link from my first text frame to the second, the overflow text reads backwards (mirrored).

What am I doing wrong?   and How do I correct it?

14 minutes ago, Twila said:

I am still a newbie but I am having a similar problem, only my inverted text is in a simple frame text...no curves...no shapes...just a simple frame text. When I link from my first text frame to the second, the overflow text reads backwards (mirrored).

It's easy to cause that with any kind of shape, by grabbing one of the side nodes and dragging it straight past the other side. E.g., grab the node on the left side of a frame or shape, and drage to the right, past the other side. Or, you can get upside-down text by dragging the top ot bottom node down/up past the other side.

Perhaps you did that at some point?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, Twila said:

Did you maybe drag the resize handles backwards (right to left)?

358855885_ScreenShot2020-04-18at2_33_17PM.png.4ddf35f8ec99da8d1f8d6ae990fe0bbc.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.