Rafael Santos

Merging shapes sometimes create inner lines

Hi,

First time poster, I'm learning Affinity Designer and am very happy with the results so far but ran into something unexpected.

I'm trying to merge some shapes and having different results. I've created two sets of shapes, shown below, and tried to merge them with the "Add" button (first one below):

5a3969926a8fa_SS_2017-12-19at5_33_10PM.png.e0d83e62d84501568ed75e93e62e98a1.png

When merging the (overlapping) ellipse and rectangle all works as expected -- the border is merged and is around the merged objects.

5a39681c39f50_SS_2017-12-19at5_19_21PM.thumb.png.459850d749f39e149f30f5427e42014b.png

When merging the hexagons things are not working as expected: there are still some lines that are "inside" the merged object.

5a39682530330_SS_2017-12-19at5_26_41PM.thumb.png.fa420e78373ed806bbd6f4e55d620473.png

It get much worse when I have 10+ hexagons added together.

I can edit the lines and try to remove some of the inner lines but it is too much work and some of the nodes, when deleted, mess up the whole figure.

How can I merge the shapes and get rid of the inner lines?

The hexagons were created by using the pen tool, snapping to the first point and closing the curve.

thanks in advance

Rafael

Hi Rafael Santos,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of a few issues with the boolean operations. Some situations/circumstances may lead to inaccurate results - we have a few ones logged and intend to improve the code as we move forward to better cope with them. With that said you can easily prevent this from happening if you add an additional node on one of the edges that is overlapping other hexagon and drag it a little over the area of the other hexagon so their edges don't overlap anymore and both hexagons intersect each other (see reference image below). This way the Add operations don't have to deal with overlapping edges and should give you an accurate result.

boolean_operations_edges.png.1663ca21d5c2eb323dd6a62d52fe9b18.png

Hi Meb, obrigado pela resposta :-)

Thanks for the tip, I needed to be sure I wasn't missing something on this issue. 

In my design I was working with dozens of hexagons, pasted in different joining configurations. I will probably create some variants of the basic hexagon and add them together to see how it works.

thanks again

Rafael

I had this issue when making boxes with glue edges, I just created the shape I wanted with an overlap; I actually just created a reflection and merged them, then created assets from it, so now its very easy to make boxes.

example.jpg

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019