AmpedAndy

Pinch Zoom Stopped Working

In the middle of my workflow, my pinch to zoom stopped working. Is there a setting I bumped, or is this a bug? 

I need help quickly because I'm on a deadline. 

iMac 21.5" Mid 2011

2.5 GHz i5

Hi AmpedAndy,

Welcome to the forums :)

There isn't a setting in our app for this as it is an iOS feature is this issue still occurring?

Thanks

Callum

It's a feature that usually works perfectly well in the Mac desktop apps; and then just stops working and you need to use Cmd+ and Cmd- which is a right PITA. I haven't worked out why it switches itself off.

So are you are using one of the Apple trackpads? If so, which one?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather! I had no idea anybody was still using mice. Yes, it's an A1339 Trackpad. It works brilliantly for zooming and canvas rotation. Until it doesn't.

Since there are at two Apple Trackpads & several mice with touch sensitive surfaces, plus a variety of third party graphics tablets & other pointing devices like trackballs that people use for one reason or another, it is never safe to assume that what you are using is what others are.  So it is always a good idea to include that info in your posts, plus the OS version you are running & which Affinity app (& version) you are using.

Anyway, have you checked Preferences > Tools to make sure that canvas rotation with trackpad is still enabled, & the relevant System Preferences settings for your trackpad?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I haven't checked preferences for the simple reason it turns itself on and off seemingly at random. The trackpad works perfectly with all other applications all the time; it's just hit and miss with Affinity. So I think something inside Affinity is deciding whether it wants to cooperate with pinch/spread to zoom and canvas rotate.

Again, it would help to know which (or both, if you have them) Affinity app(s) you are having this problem with & the versions of everything (apps & OS) you are using.

I'm having this issue as well. Pinch to zoom on my Apple Magic Trackpad 2 worked great (pretty sure) when I first fired up the trial a few days ago, but now it doesn't! It's quite annoying and anyone with a trackpad (or using on their Macbook or other laptop) will tell you this is the preferred way to zoom in and out. I used it consistently on Illustrator and Photoshop. Want to use here... but it's not workin!

Found this topic at last...I have the same problem as well.

My touchpad on MBP 2016 13" with Touch Bar works fine with all apps, but some months ago the Pinch to Zoom stopped working from time to time. I could fix it by turning the pinching functionality on and off several times in system preference. By it kept happening and it bother me, especially when Im working on a design and zooming in and out is a very often task.

I tried to pin-point the source of this issue and found that Affinity Designer is the reason. My other apps (Adobe PS, AI and other stuff) work just fine. But whenever I launch Affinity Designer, there's a 90% chance that after some time the Pinch to Zoom will stop working. By quitting Affinity Designer, the pinching would work again after some more minutes. 

I tried to turn off every touchpad related option in AD but the problem is still there. It's not a big issue, but somewhat inconvenient. Turning the pinching on and off in system preference is by far my only solution whenever this problem occurs, since it always happen when I have loads of design to work on AD and restarting can be a pain in the ...

BTW, I have another MBP which is a 2015 model that comes with a conventional trackpad (instead of a force-touch version), and this problem never occurs.

Could anyone in Affinity dress the issue?

Hi, going into sys prefs > trackpad and disabling pinch-to-zoom then enabling it again worked for me. 

I found this on Reddit: 

It suggests that it could be a conflict with Better Touch Tool (in my case) or similar apps like Magnet, etc.

Here's my issue though: this doesn't happen in any other apps! It doesn't happen in Illustrator, Photoshop, Chrome, etc. It only affects Affinity Designer (I don't use Photo) for me. So maybe the BTT devs can help, but it seems like it's an Affinity issue that needs to be fixed on their end!

I just searched this forum after encountering the problem many times including about 10 mins ago. I never thought to check Magnet, but it does seem to occur around the same time as using Magnet to resize the Affinity window. Quitting Magnet made pinch to zoom on trackpad work immediately. (2017 MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.whatever the newest is)