You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows from the Microsoft Store

• Staff

Trubador, 

Unfortunately there is no way to transfer your purchase, no. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I don't see what could be the problem with providing a redeemable gift code to users who ask for it in the Downloads & Product Keys section of the Account page given they already bought the software.

Another option would be to allow trial install and provide an activation screen where users can enter their existing license code.

1 hour ago, AHumeniy said:

I don't see what could be the problem with providing a redeemable gift code to users who ask for it in the Downloads & Product Keys section of the Account page given they already bought the software.

Another option would be to allow trial install and provide an activation screen where users can enter their existing license code.

One problem might be that Microsoft keeps part of the purchase price for any apps sold through its store (30% for non-subscription based apps), so there would have to be some provision for compensating Microsoft for the revenue the company would not receive because the app was not originally sold through its store.

Understandably, I doubt Serif would be willing to give 30% of the revenue from sales it has already made through its own store to Microsoft for users that want to transfer the license. I also suspect that there are not that many users who would be willing to pay MS a 30% 'transfer fee' for this. Would you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

One problem might be that Microsoft keeps part of the purchase price for any apps sold through its store (30% for non-subscription based apps), so there would have to be some provision for compensating Microsoft for the revenue the company would not receive because the app was not originally sold through its store.

Understandably, I doubt Serif would be willing to give 30% of the revenue from sales it has already made through its own store to Microsoft for users that want to transfer the license. I also suspect that there are not that many users who would be willing to pay MS a 30% 'transfer fee' for this. Would you?

Don't know about MS store but in Google Play you can generate promo codes for anyone to give (thre's limit though - 500 by quarter). You won't get any money, but G won't get their cut either. Also you can distribute apk outside Google Play (even in other markets). Simple as that.

Is MS so greedy, they want 30% even from "free" app?

48 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

Is MS so greedy, they want 30% even from "free" app?

Well, 30% of zero is zero so I do not see how that is relevant here. What I do know is that Microsoft wants to keep 30% of the price of apps that users must pay for on their store.

Somebody is going to have to pay Microsoft something for the license transfer, & for hosting the app updates, for taking care of collection of sales taxes where applicable, for vetting apps to make sure they meet Microsoft's requirements, & for anything else Microsoft provides for apps distributed through its store. How greedy a 30% cut might be is not for me to say, but I think it is extremely unlikely they, or any other for-profit corporation, would do this for free.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Well, 30% of zero is zero so I do not see how that is relevant here. What I do know is that Microsoft wants to keep 30% of the price of apps that users must pay for on their store.

Somebody is going to have to pay Microsoft something for the license transfer, & for hosting the app updates, for taking care of collection of sales taxes where applicable, for vetting apps to make sure they meet Microsoft's requirements, & for anything else Microsoft provides for apps distributed through its store. How greedy a 30% cut might be is not for me to say, but I think it is extremely unlikely they, or any other for-profit corporation, would do this for free.

Think I was unclear in my previous post, sorry.

If MS Store allows devs to have promo codes for their apps I don't really see problem. They are preapred that such situation can happen - some licenses will be given for free. It's not up to Microsoft to decide who can get code. Affinity can generate codes and hand them to whoever they want. Let it be new users or existing who want just to convert between versions. 

24 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

If MS Store allows devs to have promo codes for their apps I don't really see problem.

It is my understanding that MS places a limit on the number of promo codes that can be offered through its store; that there are in fact restrictions on who they can be offered to & on what countries or regions those people must be in to be offered the codes; & perhaps other restrictions related to complying with regional taxation/marketing/trade laws. However, I do not know any of the details so perhaps someone who does can post more about that.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hi gabriel_komorov,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

These codes are limited and are mostly for testing or press/promo purposes, not for mass distribution to users.

There isn't functional differences between the Affinity and Microsoft Store versions other than the automatic updates and no need for products keys in the Microsoft Store version.

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, MEB said:

Hi gabriel_komorov,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

These codes are limited and are mostly for testing or press/promo purposes, not for mass distribution to users.

There isn't functional differences between the Affinity and Microsoft Store versions other than the automatic updates and no need for products keys in the Microsoft Store version.

well, trying to help a bunch of people to transfer their licenses it's not mass distribution. I think you can generate 20 promo codes to the 20 people who bought your software outside the windows store interested in transfering the licenses.