corsseir

Affinity products for Linux

Thanks @mokry for compiling that list.

I'm a big Affinity fan, utilising Designer, Photo and Publisher extensively on Mac at work. 

Outside work, my go-to OS is Linux due to:

• Affordability: a new Mac, Surface or XPS laptop is way outside by budget.
  • Performance: an old Mac that barely runs MacOS can be given a whole new lease of life.
  • Sustainability: see above.
  • SaaS: propriety software is increasingly moving to the web browser.

I think the reason some of us have embraced Linux is similar to the reason some of us former Adobe CC users embraced Affinity. It's not that we are averse to paying for excellent software, it's just that it has to be affordable and fair. Propriety applications such as Insync are invaluable, proving that people will pay for software if it meets their needs. And, shock horror, yes I will be using Microsoft Edge on Linux when it is released (MS Teams and Defender already in preview).

Sadly, in the non-3D graphics space, our options are limited to the likes of these:

They're passable for amateur/hobbyist use, but none are on a par with the Affinity apps.

As for the publisher space, there's really nothing that cuts the mustard natively, though I guess the like of Lucidpress, Canva and Pagination are trying to fill a gap from a SaaS perspective. 

I completely understand why Serif won't develop for this platform --- clearly it has to make economic business sense, and at present it doesn't. 

There is however an opportunity here for some bright sparks, who recognise what is going wrong in the dominant software-hardware ecosystem... extremely expensive hardware, crippled by increasingly poor OS updates... as well as the huge gap in the market in the 2D graphics space on Linux.

1 hour ago, Elbowes said:

And, shock horror, yes I will be using Microsoft Edge on Linux when it is released (MS Teams and Defender already in preview)

Not in shock, not in horror, but why?

Edge is Webkit based, so Chrome/Chromium, Safari, Opera and others.

2 hours ago, Elbowes said:

Sadly, in the non-3D graphics space, our options are limited to the likes of these:

They're passable for amateur/hobbyist use, but none are on a par with the Affinity apps.

Krita is not a general purpose image editor, and aimed at digital painting. It wipes the floor with Affinity Photo in this respect (even Photoshop cannot keep up with painting in Krita), and Krita is widely in use by many professional digital illustrators.

Apples and oranges.

4 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Not in shock, not in horror, but why?

Edge is Webkit based, so Chrome/Chromium, Safari, Opera and others.

Only a few smaller parts of Chrome/Chromium are still based directly on WebKit; most of it hasn't been used for some time now (except on iOS where they have little choice) having been replaced with Blink.

Opera is built on Chromium so similarly switched to Blink instead of using WebKit directly.

The default Edge "Legacy" version on Windoze 10 is its own beast at the moment (uses EdgeHTML) but M$ is switching to the Chromium engine in the "new" Edge which the user currently needs to install explicitly.

5 hours ago, Elbowes said:

our options are limited to the likes of these

You missed GIMP, Inkscape, and sK1, at least.