You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New user - initial questions

Hello.   I am considering using Apple Photos (AP) for DAM and Affinity Photo (AfP) as an Extension from within Photos.

Before proceeding further, may I please ask the following:

1. If I open a RAW image within AP and pass it to AfP via Extensions, will I then be working on the RAW file within AfP?
  2. If not, what is the recommended way to achieve this?
  3. What is the support mechanism for AfP?   Phone, Email, Forums Other?
  4. Is there a manual for AfP?  If so, I presume this is online somewhere?
  5. What plans are there (if any) for Serif to create there own DAM instead of using AP?   If yes, what timescale for availability?
  6. In buying the AfP product, what are the upgrade options?  What is a free upgrade and what has to be paid for?

Many thanks and regards, Frank.

• Staff

Hi FrankL0 and Welcome to the Forums,

The Edit via the Extensions will pass the RAW file to Affinity Photo, you'll know this has happened as the image will open in the Develop Persona.

All support is via these forums.

We do have a version of the Help online and you can find the link in this post

All minor version updates are free, so for example anything under the 1.0 branch would be free.  When we move onto version 2.0 then that would be a paid update, should you wish to get the benefits of that update.  

As for the DAM, it's something we would like to look into, but we've got lots of other stuff to finish before hand, so i can't give an ETA.

Many thanks Stokerg.   I note all your comments and have just purchased Affinity Photo.   I see there is an impressive array of video tutorials, but will you be so kind as to point me in the right direction and suggest the best videos to watch to get started, in particular when using Affinity Photo with Apple Photos?

I also note your comment about Serif perhaps developing your own DAM.  I did think I read somewhere in another forum that Serif are actively developing your own DAM.   Did I misunderstand or has there been a change in development direction?

I am currently planning to use Apple Photos for DAM but wonder whether you are able to suggest alternatives that integrate with Affinity Photos.

Many thanks, Frank

2 hours ago, FrankL0 said:

I am currently planning to use Apple Photos for DAM but wonder whether you are able to suggest alternatives that integrate with Affinity Photos.

I haven't used it on a Mac, but have a look at XnViewMP - it does a good job and it's free!  Have a look at Drippy Cat's YouTube videos for a good introduction.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 21/08/2017 at 2:32 PM, stokerg said:

Hi FrankL0 and Welcome to the Forums,

The Edit via the Extensions will pass the RAW file to Affinity Photo, you'll know this has happened as the image will open in the Develop Persona.

All support is via these forums.

We do have a version of the Help online and you can find the link in this post

All minor version updates are free, so for example anything under the 1.0 branch would be free.  When we move onto version 2.0 then that would be a paid update, should you wish to get the benefits of that update.  

As for the DAM, it's something we would like to look into, but we've got lots of other stuff to finish before hand, so i can't give an ETA.

Hi again. In using Affinity Photo from within Apple Photos, the functionality seems to be reduced compared to AP in standalone. 

Is is there a summary somewhere giving details at what the reduced functionality is when AP is accessed from Apple Photos please?

Thanks. F

I'm sure, indeed pleased to realise that it is probably my misunderstanding!

An example however, to illustrate my confusion is that, if I go to Extensions in Photos, I get a number of Affinity products to go to.

At the top is Affinity Develop.

When I open Affinity Photo in Standalone, I can't see Affinity Develop!

As i say, it's probably my misunderstanding and hence my enquiry whether there is any video tutorial introducing Affinity Extensions.

2 hours ago, FrankL0 said:

When I open Affinity Photo in Standalone, I can't see Affinity Develop!

In the stand alone Affinity Photo app, Develop is a Persona that the app automatically defaults to only when opening a RAW image file, a general term for one of the many file formats high end cameras can produce that contains unprocessed ("raw") image data from the camera sensor that must be "developed" before it can be used in the Photo or other Personas.

However, any photo that is open in the Photo Persona can also use the tools in the Develop Persona simply by changing to that Persona, usually by clicking on its button in the main toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

As I've said previously, I'm not a Mac user so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious!  I've used AP on windows, accessing it directly and via a number of different apps and it always behaves the same way.  What does change is the way it behaves depending on the image file being opened - RAW files open in the Develop Persona, other image files and .afphoto files open in the Photo Persona.  Are you seeing a difference when you open the same image file directly in AP and via Apple Photos?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

Hi FrankL0,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Affinity Extensions for Apple Photos only contain a subset of the functionality present in the standalone application. There's however one extension that will allow you to send the files from Apple Photos to the standalone program so you can use all of its functionality. The extension is called Edit in Affinity Photo. After sending it to Affinity Photo develop the image in Develop Persona (if it's a RAW) or Photo Persona (if it's a processed image like a JPG) then close the document in Affinity Photo. It will then ask you to save the changes, press Save, close the document tab and the edited image will be sent back to Apple Photos as a JPG. You can then decide to keep the changes there pressing Save Changes in the top right of Apple Photos app or Cancel them.

Ah ha!  

This is as I thought and what I was querying.  You have given a very straightforward answer for which I thank you MEB.  

So, if I can achieve what I want using the subset, all well and good.  Otherwise go to Edit in Affinity Photo  to avail myself of the full functionality.

KRs Frank

... I do wonder however, MEB, why a subset has been implemented?    Was it for speed or some other reasoning?  Please advise? 

If one always goes to full functionality then one can just use what one wants every time without having to decide which route to take.    Am I missing something here?   F

Again - many thanks MEB.  That makes perfect sense.

So, to confirm my understanding, with my being a new Affinity Photos user and setting up my workflow to use Affinity Photo from within Apple Photos, it would be best to ALWAYS use Edit in Affinity Photo as there is no downside in doing so and the full functionality is always available.   KRs F

My new workflow is therefore...

1. Copy photos from Camera to folder on Mac using Finder
  2. Import to folder to Apple Photos, deleting any obvious rejects
  3. Browse and further cull the keepers and rejects (Using 1,2,3,4,5 star keywords)
  4. For those that it will suffice, use Apple Photos to make post processing changes
  5. For more advanced work and styling first go to Edit in Affinity Photo before making any changes so as to ensure the RAW file is passed to Affinity Photo

Do you agree that the above has the makings of a reasonable DAM/Affinity Photo workflow?