You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first full background in AD

eejits

Hey there folks,

Hope you all had a great christmas. Here's hoping you all have a cracking' Hogmanay too!

I'd thought I'd share a recent commission I just completed using AD. A Scottish Castle and gardens. Hope you like it. I used the grass tutorial to create my own 'leaf' brush to add texture to the bushes and trees. That was invaluable (thanks Jobalou).

George

post-277-0-34149300-1419684997_thumb.jpg

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Thanks Peter, glad you like it.

The pond was the easiest bit to be honest. The castle took the time (for me at least). I like your idea, it would look brilliant but as it stands this is for a client so at the moment I'll have to leave it as it is. There's nothing saying I couldn't do your suggestion for myself though.

Thanks again,

George

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Very nice!  That is a lot of very detailed work that is quite excellent! I think maybe it would be a stronger image if you messed with the lighting a little bit more for a future work.  From the tree/bush in front it looks like the sun is coming from the top right corner, so maybe play with the gradients and shading on the left bit of the castle?  I think it would make it even more imposing (and I like the angle you have for it also.)  Speaking of composition, maybe move everything up so that the castle does not sit in the middle of the page?  I realize digital art probably has some different rules for composition, but at least in painting and photography having an object in the middle of the page is not usually a good idea.  Then again rules are made to be broken...

When I am painting I find it extremely helpful to take an image of my work with my cellphone and change it to black and white.  The smaller image shows where I need more contrast or light and what is lost, and the same thing applies for digital art, too.  :-)

Anyway, I love this and I think you did a really good job.  You should be very happy with it!  The pond (the reflections!) and the front tree to the right and the castle in particular are well rendered.

Thanks guys.

penwiper: Thanks for the comments, appreciate the tips and the advice. I'll definitely think more about composition when laying out my next pic. That's a great tip about taking a black & white photo. Would never have thought about that one.

Thanks again......

George