You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remove eps white background

Sorry to highjack the thread but i'm suffering this too just pasted the head into my design and it has the white bg see shared file. I am a newbie to vector design and Affinity Designer so i'm likely being stupid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2jvsii99n6qot9/Clever%20Carpentry%20Logo.afdesign?dl=0

I downloaded your file but it says this file type is not supported when I try to open it.

Hi Jonfuller,

yes, I purchased it myself. ;-)

It's from www.dollarphotoclub.com

This image by the way is actual photography, just recently saw a report on TV where a guy photographed thickened (and coloured) milk thrown onto a greenscreen to create graphics like this.

I am more a ,typsetting-designer' (books, magazines, catalogues, structured documents, business forms, easy to read educational material and such) than a creative-artistic one. If you ever need a pretty phonebook that's fun and easy to read, I'm your guy.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to highjack the thread but i'm suffering this too just pasted the head into my design and it has the white bg see shared file. I am a newbie to vector design and Affinity Designer so i'm likely being stupid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2jvsii99n6qot9/Clever%20Carpentry%20Logo.afdesign?dl=0

Hi jutty0069,

The Document Setup with Transparent background checked should fix this:

Paul. :)

Simple solution… you'll see that the imported EPS is called an Embedded Document in the layers palette.

Double-click on that imported EPS / Embedded document and it will open up into its own working window. (the actual object, not in the layer palette)

In the Preferences window of that document, turn on the transparent background.

Save and close that window. 

Your imported EPS now has no background...

Ta-daaaa.

• 6 months later...

Can I get som help please. I'm not all familiar with Affinity Designer and I have this eps logo that I need:

http://briefcoach.net/news/logo_solsurf_ny.eps

I have followed the instructions above but it doesn't help (it also doesn't open up in a new window when I double click picture).

Is there anything wrong with the file itself or what I do?

I have even tried to use Selection Brush Tool, marked all letters and copied them into a new document both there it also just copy white background??

Am using Affinity Designer and Photo 1.4.1 on a Mac 10.11.3

Any kind of hint is appreciated!

Can I get som help please. I'm not all familiar with Affinity Designer and I have this eps logo that I need:

http://briefcoach.net/news/logo_solsurf_ny.eps

I have followed the instructions above but it doesn't help (it also doesn't open up in a new window when I double click picture).

Is there anything wrong with the file itself or what I do?

I have even tried to use Selection Brush Tool, marked all letters and copied them into a new document both there it also just copy white background??

Am using Affinity Designer and Photo 1.4.1 on a Mac 10.11.3

Any kind of hint is appreciated!

I am a bit confused by what you are trying to achieve ultimately.

here are my question:

1. Do you want the final format to be .eps and if so why does the final file you have shared as .eps file with an image placed inside?

2. Is it required that your final input be an .eps, svg or pdf? if not will a .png with transparency be enough for your needs? 

3.  what exact method did you use when you traced this logo?

I  have take the file you supplied, rasterized the image by right clicking and choosing rasteriize. I created a mask using pixel selection because the file you supplied

was an image that had to be rasterized because there wasn't any vector information in the file. now that the image has a mask and the transparency of the file is set to transparent you can export a png with transparency.  This will be fine for most screen resolution but where you will run into issues if you try to scale this logo up beyond the 192 DPI and 12inc by 2-inch size you have defined. Meaning that it will not print well beyond that size.

I included a link to the file here.

If you have any questions about what I did feel free to ask I will be happy to assist you further.

Cheers,

Ronnie 

I am a bit confused by what you are trying to achieve ultimately.

here are my question:

1. Do you want the final format to be .eps and if so why does the final file you have shared as .eps file with an image placed inside?

2. Is it required that your final input be an .eps, svg or pdf? if not will a .png with transparency be enough for your needs? 

3.  what exact method did you use when you traced this logo?

I  have take the file you supplied, rasterized the image by right clicking and choosing rasteriize. I created a mask using pixel selection because the file you supplied

was an image that had to be rasterized because there wasn't any vector information in the file. now that the image has a mask and the transparency of the file is set to transparent you can export a png with transparency.  This will be fine for most screen resolution but where you will run into issues if you try to scale this logo up beyond the 192 DPI and 12inc by 2-inch size you have defined. Meaning that it will not print well beyond that size.

I included a link to the file here.

If you have any questions about what I did feel free to ask I will be happy to assist you further.

Cheers,

Ronnie 

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry for the late reply (have been travelling).

And a BIG thank you for the file!! - Yes I wasn't very clear in my questions. All I want is the logo to put on various backgrounds = transparent - so exactly what you did!

I got the logo from another (non-graphic) person in the company so honestly I don't know what kind of file it is other than I realize that it isn't transparent. As I understand it .eps is a good format because you can scale it up and down pretty much without any loss in quality right? And that is what I need (for flyers, websites etc.).

Ronnie, thanks again and thanks for telling the workaround!

Jesper

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am having similar issues and would appreciate help please too!

I imported an image into Designer and created some text with this, and when I export into EPS I see that the globe image is still in a square of white.

It should just be the globe,how can I get rid of the square of white in which the globe sits ?

Otherwise if I paste the text onto any background the globe looks like it has a different white background to everything else?

Hi,

I am having similar issues and would appreciate help please too!

I imported an image into Designer and created some text with this, and when I export into EPS I see that the globe image is still in a square of white.

It should just be the globe,how can I get rid of the square of white in which the globe sits ?

Otherwise if I paste the text onto any background the globe looks like it has a different white background to everything else?

Do you mind sharing the file, so I can see how you have set up your document?

• Staff

Hi sunshine202,

If you don't mind to share it publicly you can simply upload it to the forum. Here's how to attach a file or image to the forums.

If you want to share with a user in particular you can use a cloud service like Dropbox or similar to host your file then send a PM (personal message) to the user with a link to the file. You can send a personal message clicking on the username that's above the user's avatar here in the forums.

I like your little video and here we are this is the file, hope i have done this right :)

Hello, Sunshine! ("Yah I just wanted to say that") lol Anyway, I looked at your file and it looking like it might be an export bug. You might want to post this to the bug section of the forum. Yah, I know it is not the answer you want to hear. Here is all the testing I did with your file.

1. I erased the black line that was framing your planet just because to me it like like it should not have been there and could be  the problem.

2. I did an export  to .eps  and saw the white box you speak of. 

3 I separated the globe from the image in a different document then saved that document then I tried embedding that document and reexporting. I got the same result 

4. Then I tried exporting the globe as a png and then place that png in the file and export. When I exported the file  I got the same result as prior. I tried masking the globe and re-exporting and got the same result.

So, my conclusion is the .eps export works for documents that do not contain and raster information (no pixel data) Now Affinity can export raster, but it does not export raster images with transparency information into a .eps format without re-rasterizing the image and after it does that any transparency information is changed to white. I suspect when it rasterizes your already rasterized image with a mask it will use a compression format like Jpeg to do it and as we know jpg do not retain any transparency data and will slap on a white around any image that has transparency.  

Now let us talk about your situation and how we can get around it.

1. What your final use and output for your image?

2. Do you have use eps?

If not just export your graphic as a high-resolution PNG. 

If this for a logo I would create a globe completely from vectors so that there aka" pixel based data" in your file. Which is better if you need to scale it up larger for a sign or other large format in the future. Be warned though you can only scale a pixel based image so far before it starts to look bad and just because you have it in a vector file does not mean it has the same attributes of a vector image. You will only be able to stretch it so far before the quality degrades and if you started with a low res image it will not have  much space to be able to scale  it up and look good.

Now if you absolutely must have a vector format you might want to consider using the .svg format or the .pdf format.  These two formats will give you the result you want and expect. 

Upon further testing, I find that .eps export is the only vector based format that gives you this issue, therefore leading me to believe it is a bug so use .svg or .png as your export of choice depending on the final output required.

Did that answer your question?