You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Wrap text around an object?

Pages as pages were mentioned as coming to AD after Publisher arrives.

But was there any mention of page layout functions coming to AD after Publisher arrives, or what they might be?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R,

Where did I mention layout functions? That's not the point. My point is/was that why add pages (regardless of the text wrap, text frame linking, etc.) to AD at all? 

I was following on from Alfred's post about logical conclusions where he mentions why add bullets and numbering to AD (which had been stated in the past) as regards consistency of the Serif decision making.

If, as you and a few others seem to state, if AD is a illustration, web mock-up, UI designer, etc., why even have this schizoid inclusion of pages? Or bullets/numbering? Or -- add another dozen things here?

While I do not like artboards, I can fully appreciate their use for some of the work people use AD for. The same can be said of pages--they are logical entities and have a place in a design application beyond the list of illustration, web mock-up, UI designer, etc. They make perfect sense for print design, something listed before those other items on the AD web page.

The same holds true for bullets and numbering. They do make sense for print design in a non-page layout application for certain types of print work. As does linked text frames. As does text wrap. As do several other things.

As regards:

But was there any mention of page layout functions coming to AD after Publisher arrives, or what they might be?

There are already layout functions in AD. Text handing as it now stands is a layout function. The inclusion of vector design, bitmaps, etc., are layout functions. APub has its place and even in the first version there will be discrete layout functions that will separate it from AD quite well. But what those layout functions will be? I haven't seen a list. I am, however, confident that several/many will be in it that enhances and or simply includes layout functions that are beyond the purview of AD.

The inclusion of what you and a few others insist should never grace AD would in no way detract from APub and would only serve to enrich simple layout jobs in AD.

If, as you and a few others seem to state, if AD is a illustration, web mock-up, UI designer, etc., why even have this schizoid inclusion of pages? Or bullets/numbering? Or -- add another dozen things here?

As Dave Harris said, the intent is for all the Affinity apps to share a common file format. How could this be implemented if each app could not at least recognize the features of the others, whether or not they include the same (or any) tools to manipulate them?

I think you may be reading too much into the comments about what will be added to AD (or AP) once Publisher is available.

There are already layout functions in AD.

In the way you seem to be using that term, essentially every app could be considered as having layout functions, including web browsers & anything that has a window capable of dynamically adjusting its contents. That does not mean they all should have the same layout functions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There will be feature overlap. That's a fact. We simply irrevocably disagree what features should or shouldn't be overlapped.

I believe that Serif needs to rethink what those overlapping features are and be consistent about it. As it is, there doesn't seem to be consistency.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, TRUMAC said:

Is there any new feedback about when wrapping text around an image is going to added to AD? :)

I expect to see proper text wrapping options in Affinity Publisher. Only Serif knows whether that feature will subsequently be added to AD, but while we're waiting you can manually create a suitably shaped text frame around an image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)