You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preferences are not cancellable

Any changes made in the preferences window are applied when the close button or cross in the top right is clicked. There are no ways (that I can see) to cancel changes made.

Dialogs like this should (in my opinion) always have a way to cancel and not apply changes.

Also, the changes made in the performance tab don't save after I close and reopen the software.

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

• Staff

Hey mattb5906,

I actually think having a 'Cancel' or 'Reset' button would be a good idea. I suppose it makes perfect sense to be able to cancel any changes, especially if you can't remember what changes you made. I can put this forward as an improvement. 

As for the Preferences not saving, I'm pretty sure we have this logged already. If it isn't, I'll make sure it does get logged.

Cheers! :)

• Staff

Hi guys,

I've had a comment back from development stating that Cancel buttons are not standard on Preference dialogs on the Mac. The Windows version must be identical to the Mac version when possible so we won't be implementing it on Windows either.

We are going to be looking into the issue with the settings not being saved though. So thanks. 

• Staff

Any changes made in the preferences window are applied when the close button or cross in the top right is clicked. 

Actually the changes are applied instantly. It's a modeless dialog, which means you can leave it open while you do other things. This type of dialog never has a cancel button. 

That makes sense. Thank you for explaining why it won't be added. I guess it's not too bad. I originally played around with the performance values then thought 'Crap. What were they originally set to?'.

You're right Jon, it is a non modal window. Just assumed otherwise :)

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

Hi guys,

I've had a comment back from development stating that Cancel buttons are not standard on Preference dialogs on the Mac. The Windows version must be identical to the Mac version when possible so we won't be implementing it on Windows either.

We are going to be looking into the issue with the settings not being saved though. So thanks. 

To me none of this makes just a bit of sense, unfortunately.

1) The Preferences dialog applies all changes in real-time, that's nice. It is even technically a modeless dialog,

but it is not being used that way. Preferences is a large, non-resizable and non-dockable window. This Editor

doesn't need regular input or readout. Even if one has a large screen or several of them ... nobody will leave

this dialog open, even across sessions.

Browsing Preferences is a great way to get aquainted with a program and the degree of workflow refinement

it offers. Being able to freely play around with parameters, checking out what happens, when one dials in new

values and colours is a very effective way for learning software. The ubiquitous Cancel Option gives Preferences

this familiar Sandbox quality, leaving it away makes the program worse.

If one by all means doesn't want to use another button using Adobe's Alt+Click to reset was a welcome addition.

2) You make it sound as if the Mac Interface is being used as a 1:1 template for the Windows version. I can well

understand that there's a desire to streamline GUI work – but does that mean that there's no way at all to get anything

what's mindless Mac UX kicked out of the application?

You're building a multi-OS app now (and will  pretty likely sell far more Win licenses) – there's simply no proper reason

to force Mac UX as the development paradigm to windows users. Most successful cross-platform applications use their

GUI principles, which neither use Mac nor Windows Standards, some are also available on Linux (such as Maya or Houdini)

I would appreciate a short comment – I'd simply like to know whether it further makes sense to engage in GUI discussions...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.