You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Break / combine text

Greetings

I'me here to request a function that has already been asked by other users but you keep ignoring it despite it being a very simple function. BTW illustrator doesn't have it either, but there is a strange way to do it on illustrator.

The function is the break apart combine text.

It is difficult to explain, and I've seen a post of a user requesting the same function and you didn't understood what he was requesting. I send you an image for you to understand better.

I use this function a lot, because I write the artistic text with using paragraphs, then  I break it to resize or format  each line, if I click Break again it will separate the words that are grouped in a single line on different objects. It is useful specially to do things like the design example image that I attached.

NOTE: the break command maintain the fonts, it doesn't convert text to curves, that's the advantage.

Best regards

post-33762-0-55136000-1472914165_thumb.png

post-33762-0-16586800-1472914172_thumb.png

post-33762-0-86427100-1472914177_thumb.png

post-33762-0-51490400-1472915291_thumb.jpg

To make a slight correction, I don't think the staff is ignoring people's requests. With the betas and roadmap features going on, I assume their hands and budget are full. They still consider all feedback.

So your request is to separate text so each line is editable. That's new. And from your screenshots, I didn't realize Corel did that. (Yes, I'm a nerd who can identify the program.) When you try to convert your text to curves, do you have the move tool selected?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm really surprised that you identified Corel Draw despite it being in portuguese.

Well, my problem isn't converting text to curves. And I think either you have the move tool or text tool selected you are able to convert text to curves on affinity designer.

I just hope you keep Affinity Designer the most simple as possible, that is Affinity great advantage to Illustrator and Corel Draw. To be lightweight and with only the most needed tools. And for me this break and combine command is one that I use often.

Illustrator is full of effects that a designer rarely uses and that makes the software heavy. The one I most use is the 3D effect. But even this one is dispensable. If a designer wants 3D it is better to use a proper 3D software.  

Keep it lean

Best regards.

I'm really surprised that you identified Corel Draw despite it being in portuguese.

I only ever used CorelDraw for a short time, and that was more than twenty years ago (version 3.0, I think) but the 'PowerClip' entry on the Objeto menu is a bit of a giveaway! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

I remember when CorelDraw X7 came out, it had a brand new look. Plus, I am into UI layouts. (I create my own.)  :D

From the topics and feedback I've already read on this forum, I believe Affinity will stay lightweight and use only the most needed tools like you described. Even though all feedback is heard, requests for unrelated vector features like animation, RAW image support, and inpainting has been disregarded. And I agree if Affinity is trying to stay within a certain range, they should just follow the necessary features that make up what the program was designed for. Get it? If there are any suggestions on improving the work of vector editing and graphic designing, then I think it's worth being heard, whether they're added or not. I haven't heard of the feature you requested before, but I think it could come handy for others who use that approach in their workflow.

So you are looking into dividing a paragraph of text so each line is a separate text path that can be retyped? Is that right?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm really surprised that you identified Corel Draw despite it being in portuguese...

The screen shots are identified by the initial two letters 'CD' as well...

But, CD hasn't changed its interface tools too much over the last few versions--with the exception of being flatter icons and certainly with X8, fairly colorless.

The break text is a handy command and I do use it frequently enough that I agree it would be handy in AD.

How do you know it doesn't stand for Computer Disk? You trying to rationalize my intelligence or something? (Kidding)

On 04/09/2016 at 4:35 PM, MikeW said:

That's cheating! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

You can open the file or import the file from its original format into affinity designer and

then export it as a .svg file. When you open the .svg file, the text will be broken into strings

of text instead of paragraph form. I'm not sure yet how to bind them back into a paragraph

again, but you can go to the original format and paste the changes you made to the text in

the .svg format. Hope this helps.  Ronny

P.S. I've worked in CorelDraw / Illustrator / Inkscape / Etc... 

Edited by Ronny White
Well my suggestion is wrong I'm new to Affinity Desigm

Open file in Affinity Design. Export as a .pdf  When You open or import the new .pdf in Affinity a screen with check box 

options opens up. Be sure to turn (Group lines of text into text frames) OFF Unchecking this will break text into

individual lines of text. Here's a screenshot. Forget what I posted first. That doesnt work.

BreakText_001.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 9/3/2016 at 8:09 PM, brunovinhas said:

Greetings

I'me here to request a function that has already been asked by other users but you keep ignoring it despite it being a very simple function. BTW illustrator doesn't have it either, but there is a strange way to do it on illustrator.

The function is the break apart combine text.

It is difficult to explain, and I've seen a post of a user requesting the same function and you didn't understood what he was requesting. I send you an image for you to understand better.

I use this function a lot, because I write the artistic text with using paragraphs, then  I break it to resize or format  each line, if I click Break again it will separate the word combiner that are grouped in a single line on different objects. It is useful specially to do things like the design example image that I attached.

NOTE: the break command maintain the fonts, it doesn't convert text to curves, that's the advantage.

Best regards

post-33762-0-55136000-1472914165_thumb.png

post-33762-0-16586800-1472914172_thumb.png

post-33762-0-86427100-1472914177_thumb.png

post-33762-0-51490400-1472915291_thumb.jpg

1. Select the cell where you want to put the combined data.
  2. Type = and select the first cell you want to combine.
  3. Type & and use quotation marks with a space enclosed.
  4. Select the next cell you want to word combiner and press enter. An example formula might be =A2&" "&B2.
Edited by monherry9
update the content