You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Complex construction with initial words

@anto, I'm unclear as to what you are actually looking to do. You ask "Is it possible to create such construction...?". You then give an example indicating that you can create such a construction. Could you be more specific.

John

Windows 11, Affinity Photo 2.4.2 Designer 2.4.2 and Publisher 2.4.2 (mainly Photo).

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500 @ 3.00GHz. RAM: 32.0GB  DDR4 @ 1063MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

When you say ‘create such construction’, are you perhaps referring to the styles (i.e. black bold italic text up to and including the first colon, red italic text up to and including the second colon, and black roman text thereafter)? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I'm unclear as to what you are actually looking to do. You ask "Is it possible to create such construction...?". You then give an example indicating that you can create such a construction. Could you be more specific.

I created this construction manually. I'm wondering if it's possible to create something like this using styles and initial words, that is, choose a paragraph, a style, and everything will turn out the way I want.

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When you say ‘create such construction’, are you perhaps referring to the styles (i.e. black bold italic text up to and including the first colon, red italic text up to and including the second colon, and black roman text thereafter)? :/

yes

1 hour ago, anto said:

Is it possible to create such construction, using initial words?

Text: Text, text: Text text text text text.

It would be possible with GREP styles (which imho aren't available in Affinity yet). – Alternatively and less precise with a workaround by combining Initial Words + Drop Caps, which limits your pattern to a certain number of characters (for drop caps) and would require an extra, hidden (invisible, no-width) character as initial "End-Characater" if you require the use of two ':' in your pattern. Below a V1 example without an end char / ignoring the ':'.

Accordingly this workaround also fails regarding two different fonts AND colours:

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-28um10_10_13.jpg.2e8de919c8ed3a6212dacefd83eb1d9e.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@anto Your construction uses two character styles, so I'm sorry but this is not possible.

The "Initial Words feature" allows you to use only one character style to style a specific number of initial words.
Additionally, it allows you to specify which characters can be used to automatically end the initial word formatting.
And if the formatting ends at these characters, it cannot be resumed again.

I wrote as clearly as I could.
What you want to achieve requires GREP styles.

Another workaround could use two separate Paragraph Styles, one with a leading = 0, as demonstrated in this sample video (for another approach):

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1