You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a casual user of Affinity and there's a lot I don't understand (or need to).  But I'm trying to convert a colour image to grey scale but without numerous levels of grey.  Ideally I would like the image to covert to 6 shades of grey that are clearly outlined from each other.  Is this possible and if so can anyone help me to achieve it.  Many thanks.

26 minutes ago, Optische Ausrichtung said:
  1. Add a layer "Soft proof Adjustment". Choose a Generic Grey Profile as Proof Profile.
  2. Add a layer "Posterize Adjustment". Choose 6 Posterize Levels.
  3. Export as Greyscale Image

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I'll certainly try this.

Try a gradient map, a little fussy to create but you get to choose where the tone splits are rather than rely on posterise which I've never had much luck with. The gradient map is in the psd as they can't be exported, at least I don't know how to

GradMap.jpg

GradMap.psd

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

7 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

The gradient map is in the psd as they can't be exported, at least I don't know how to.

I'm curious why you're sharing it as a .psd rather than an Affinity format such as .afphoto.

But for an exported format, "TIFF with Affinity Layers" or PSD may be the only choices.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious why you're sharing it as a .psd rather than an Affinity format such as .afphoto.

Gotta think of the forum server space ;-)

8,533 GradMap.afphoto
4,618 GradMap.psd

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

Gotta think of the forum server space ;-)

8,533 GradMap.afphoto
4,618 GradMap.psd

A little smaller for me (using 2.5 beta), but interesting. Thanks.

image.png.cb239236f9d35d7f0e8226e69de26821.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

18 hours ago, Luke St. Everything said:

Ideally I would like the image to covert to 6 shades of grey that are clearly outlined from each other.

If you want to have exactly 6 levels then you need to combine the Posterize adjustment with Gradient and Black & White adjustments (the last one being useful when working with a color image). The exact number of levels will then be determined by the Posterize adjustment while the Gradient adjustment determines the color scale. With Black & White adjustment you can determine the brightness level of primaries and how they interact with the defined gradient:

You can use the Histogram to check the number of levels in the image, or create a document palette (note that only max 64 tones/colors will be created). Often it is also necessary to add a solid layer at the bottom of the design (I suppose in situations an image has partial transparencies). If exact number of levels is not required, then the shown methods will produce appearance of decreased levels and are adequate.

There was one a found too technical for me but I did experiment with a few.  I settled on your response and to some extent I was influenced by the pic. you included that demonstrated exactly what I wanted to achieve.  I did raise the contrast a little before proceeding but I don't know if it was relevant to the outcome.  The point is that I got what I was looking for.  Thank you again for the really useful help.

3 hours ago, lacerto said:

If you want to have exactly 6 levels then you need to combine the Posterize adjustment with Gradient and Black & White adjustments

Why doesn't the Gradient Map with just 6 levels (suggested above by David) do it?

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why doesn't the Gradient Map with just 6 levels (suggested above by David) do it?

My experience is that there will always be intermediate tones besides those specified in the Gradient Map adjustment. The stray tones can especially be seen when using color images. In context of black and white images this does not normally show, so if exact number of levels is not important (and it often is not, as images are normally not viewed at pixel level), the shown methods would be fine (though setting up a kind of accurate stepwise gradient is rather tedious). In low-resolution images, sporadic intermediate tones, even grayscale, are of course more easily discernible.

My previous gradient map was sloppy as the stop points between the regions didn't coincide so I fixed that

image.png.d8317b04d1375f3e499be76df70eb462.png

Now this below shows both of them over a sort of spectrum gradient. Exporting the exact gradient I got 8 colors rather than 6 so at great risk to my sanity I scanned across the bands and the figures show the results. The bands with 2 numbers have 1px wide strips spoiling the effect, only forensic scientists and nutters will notice, normal people are immune. As lacerto notes, a posterise layer is needed and it is all very tedious

image.png.99ee700e9bedbd637f1ce3887a0450f6.png

Colours counted thus:
magick Greys-6exact.png -format '%k' info:
'8'
magick Greys-6exactPosterised.png -format '%k' info:
'6'

Happy friday!