You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Downscaling discrepancy between resize document and export dialog

If I manually downscale an image ( using the resize document dialog ) that results in decimal values before exporting to jpeg, the final output gets rounded up to the nearest pixel.

the image is question is 1007,8  so the exported jpeg has 1008px

However if I downscale using the export dialog box it rounds down to the lower pixel: 1007px

This is bad and hopefully can be fixed in the next update.

Cannot reproduce. May depend on UI settings (number of pixel).

For me if i use Document->Setup and reuce 111px to 111px / 2 the new size is exactly 55.5px. Yes, you can have documents with fractional pixel size. Activating rulers confirms this.

If you export to a pixel format, Affinity must round to full px.

So no bug (for export) in my view, maybe an diffrent UI issue, but only if yot set decimal digits to 0 (which is default).

Unfortunately even switching to pixel view mode cuts off 1/2 px.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

35 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Cannot reproduce. May depend on UI settings (number of pixel).

For me if i use Document->Setup and reuce 111px to 111px / 2 the new size is exactly 55.5px. Yes, you can have documents with fractional pixel size. Activating rulers confirms this.

If you export to a pixel format, Affinity must round to full px.

So no bug (for export) in my view, maybe an diffrent UI issue, but only if yot set decimal digits to 0 (which is default).

Unfortunately even switching to pixel view mode cuts off 1/2 px.

Hi, I'm not sure I expressed myself clearly but I don't meant that.

yes I know you can have decimals in size in Affinity photo, when you export it rounds it up.

When you use the resize tool in the export dialog box though, it rounds decimals down... that is where the problem is.

Just now, DGee said:

Hi, I'm not sure I expressed myself clearly but I don't meant that.

yes I know you can have decimals in size in Affinity photo, when you export it rounds it up.

When you use the resize tool in the export dialog box though, it rounds decimals down... that is where the problem is.

Screenshots of the exact settings you made would really help. I dont know what you mean by "resize tool".

The UI allows to enter own size, and you can lock/unlock apsect ratio, and it may depend on the actual size before and the scaling factor.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

Screenshots of the exact settings you made would really help. I dont know what you mean by "resize tool".

The UI allows to enter own size, and you can lock/unlock apsect ratio, and it may depend on the actual size before and the scaling factor.

And during my tries the export UI rounds up, too. So please give the full example.

10 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

If you go to Document/ resize document  as you can see in the images attached below, it shows a decimal. If I resize there and then export without resizing the output jpeg gets rounded up to a full pixel value.

But If I use the export dialog that you can see here to downscale the image it shows a full pixel value of 1148, I then export the jpeg and the jpeg itself has 1147 pixels. not 1148 as displayed in the export dialog box.

Hopefully you can see what I mean now. Thanks

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 22.42.52.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 22.41.29.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 22.42.22.png

Thanks for the additional clarification.

I will check again tomorrow, PC is in sleep mode already.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

On Mac, if I resize a 200x133 px document to 100px wide, Photo will show me 66.5 px tall in the Resize Document window. But after clicking Resize and re-opening the window, I can see that Photo has already rounded it up to 67 px - it won't let me have a fractional value for pixels. (I have Photo set to 2 decimal places for pixels just to be sure.)

If you re-open Resize after doing this, does it still have the fractional value?

From left: Original, type 100 and tab to the height field results in 66.5 px, click Resize and open it again results in 67 px.

Screenshot2024-04-14at7_42_20PM.png.79b0c2dd3b5db380aeda838ef27ffb65.png Screenshot2024-04-14at7_42_49PM.png.0d676cfdad9b0748d82049abff5ebf1a.png Screenshot2024-04-14at7_42_57PM.png.e7f0dec9ef0a5eb09b6164fa7e972e22.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I think (but may be wrong) that the issue is simply a discrepancy between the size shown for the same file between the Export Window and the Resize Window...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Create a new 300 dpi Document at 1,007.8 px x 1007.8 px
  2. Go to File > Export, selecting JPEG (or any raster file format)
  3. The default export size is, as expected, 1,008 px x 1,008 px
  4. Click Cancel
  5. Go to Document > Resize Document, the default size shown is 1,007 px x 1,007 px

The Resize function incorrectly rounds the document size down by default, the export function correctly rounds the document size up by default... This means if you export the original file you will end up with a 1,008 px x 1,008 px file, if you click the resize button under Document resize and export you will end up with a 1,007 px x 1,007 px document once exported.

The Resize Document function should round the values up in this instance, not down.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse