You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD compatibility is a gimmick

I'm trying to leave the Adobe ship but it's a very difficult task. I can get over the many features missing in Affinity but the fact that PSD mockups open broken or look different in Affinity is a deal breaker. Hopefully I'm missing something and that´s the reason for this post...

BTW I have the import PSD smart objects option checked in preferences.

The main issues I'm encountering are:

1. In many cases layer masks won't import and I have to manually mask those in Affinity Photo

2. Gradient Fills won't translate even if those are not mesh gradients

3. Sometimes layer styles won't translate accurately. 

Even if I uncheck the import psd smart objects there are clear visible differences. This a serious problem.

Every mockup out there is made for Photoshop so if Affinity apps cannot properly open and render PSDs , they are not usable as a replacement for Photoshop in any professional workflow. This is a problem that has not been solved since Affinity Suite came out and to this day it has not been fixed, while there are free apps like Photopea.com that are able to open any PSD file and render it without issues... it's frustrating...

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 14.06.50.png

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 14.09.14.png

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 14.13.13.png

• Staff

Hi @DGee,

The Unknown property errors are normally the result of a lack of feature parity between the apps on FX layers resulting in mapping issues which can also include gradient fills, improved support has been requested before such as the thread below and is hopefully something we'll see in later versions.

As for the masking issue, could we take a look at the .PSD file?

On 4/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, NathanC said:

Hi @DGee,

The Unknown property errors are normally the result of a lack of feature parity between the apps on FX layers resulting in mapping issues which can also include gradient fills, improved support has been requested before such as the thread below and is hopefully something we'll see in later versions.

I may be able to share the psd with you as it's a free mockup, how can I send to you?

8 minutes ago, DGee said:

I may be able to share the psd with you as it's a free mockup, how can I send to you?

You could simply attach it to a post here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Re the hoodie mockup, I can't see anything wrong with it at all in Affinity Designer, it works just as if it's in Photoshop, Layer structure is the same too. In Affinity Photo you have to nest the colours to get the same effect.

image.png.d917908659b141f61ed0d7e0fb5b4c53.png

image.png.12cd922376b0d9b1112f26a5e60d9540.png

Forgot to do the hoodie design too, nest that.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 4/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, NathanC said:

Hi @DGee,

https://mockups-design.com/free-hoodie-mockup/

hey thanks, yes I know how to fix that particular PSD file but the file metadata does not translate correctly, masks need to be redone. It should not need any work otherwise there is a problem. As I said before, Photopea, which is a free online editing tool is able to read the psd and render it as it should.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 00.13.39.png

2 hours ago, NathanC said:

Thanks @DGee,

Looks like there is a bug with the .PSD clipping mask import with smart objects, we do have this logged with the developers so i'll bump it with your report.

Much appreciated Nathan.

Cheers