You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CR3 RAW gets vignette + fisheye effect when imported using Serif Labs RAW Engine

If I use the Serif Labs RAW Engine, Canon CR3 RAW gets a vignette + fisheye effect. When I chose Apple Core Image RAW in the Develop Assistant, the problem was sorted.

However, because of this, I cannot choose the option to Output a linked RAW file from the Develop persona. This results in the RAW-embedded *.afphoto files being 5X the original RAW file and hogs a lot of space on the drive. I saw a video where an *.afphoto file using a linked RAW file could be as small as 1-2MB!

How can I solve this?
- either solve for Serif Labs RAW being able to convert CR3 files correctly
OR
- get the option for linked RAW file even with Apple Core Image RAW

Edited by PrashantS
Grammatical error

Can you upload one of the problematic CR3 files to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @PrashantS and welcome to the forums,

There have been a couple of other reports regarding this issue... I'm assuming you are seeing something similar to this post...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@HangmanYes I did read through that thread...

I was hoping Affinity had found a solution to the CR3 file issue.
Seems to be that the bug has not been addressed yet?

Currently am working via the Apple Core Image RAW and my *.afphoto file sizes are 125MB or more!

There are a couple of issues with Photo and Canon files, it can be incorrect interpretation of the metadata hence not applying any lens correction or misunderstanding the lensfun data. Without knowing the body & lens you're using it's impossible to advise further, not all CR3 files are equal. carl123 mentioned posting a problem file shortly after your initial post, that's the way forward

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Doesn't seem to be an issue on Windows (v2.4.1) ... make sure Lens Correction is selected.

image.thumb.png.d816e7b39572edbe8ae93e0bc6651f4a.png

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

6 hours ago, PrashantS said:

Here is a file that had the issue...

Fine here Windows, APhoto V2

In APhoto V1 the (same) lens is not detected automatically but works once selected manually 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

V1 users can add the attached xml to the lens profile folder and it'll auto apply the correction
Basic correction on the top image, additional correction below using the sliders
Camera added to lensfun Oct 27, 2022
V1.10.6 lens-correction-data.dat file created 28/11/22

CanonG7.jpg

CanonG7-III.xml

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

19 hours ago, AiDon said:

Doesn't seem to be an issue on Windows (v2.4.1) ... make sure Lens Correction is selected.

FWIW, on my Mac it looks the same as in your screenshot & in the top image that @David in Яuislip posted, so no vignette that I can see but a small amount of what resembles fisheye distortion but I think is just a consequence of the shortish focal length of the lens setting. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

so no vignette that I can see but a small amount of what resembles fisheye distortion

I don't see any fisheye, a little barrel but overall the correction is pretty good.
If excellent is required then use PhotoLab or Capture One. The attached file, zipped to prevent forum mangling, has the PL image with red straight 1px lines on the left and right, if you do the equivalent on my image above then you can see the difference but most people wouldn't see it. The other image shows parallax correction, I don't know how to do that in Photo

IMG_0410.zip

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

I don't see any fisheye, a little barrel but overall the correction is pretty good.

That's why I said it just resembles fisheye distortion.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7